free website stats program Checking ignition | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking ignition

The most common cause of this type of problem on a sportster is the ignition module overheating if it is located in the nose cone but I am not sure where the ignition module is on the 98 if it is behind the ignition module cover behind the battery then I would suspect the components in the nose cone

Brian

The ignition module is under the seat that was the first part I replaced, but I bought it off eBay ,the guy said it was new,it looked new, now I think I might figure out how to test it.i did put a new coil in it to.tks guys

In looking at a 1200 XL Sport parts diagram it appears you have Dual plugs per head and 2 coils. You have a cam sensor plate behind the small round cover on the gear cover, right side of motor, near your rear brake pedal. It has 2 rivets in it, I believe at 9 & 3 o'clock. Drill those out and remove the outer cover & inner cover.
Leave the cam sensor plate in place, don't remove it yet because that sets your timing.
You can take a can of compressed air for cleaning your computer or air hose off a compressor to cool the unit down when dies. After cooling down with the air, 30 sec. to a minute, if it starts back up that is your problem. The HD p/n is 32400-94A. If you have to replace it I think there are marks on the plate. Pick one and scribe a line to the nose cone. This will preset you timing.
tourbox

Rt on, that sounds like that may be the problem. I'm out of town,when I get back I check it out.tks tourbox.Now do you re ribbit the outer cover back in place?

Use self tapping screws to re fit the cover then it is easy on and off for the future

Brian

You can do as Bryan says or re-rivet. HD and after market both have a outer plate to screw into the stud that holds the sensor plate in place. Self tapping screws would be cheaper though.
tourbox

Back