free website stats program check engine light "OFF"..no fuel pump | Harley Davidson Forums

check engine light "OFF"..no fuel pump

jerrybombard

2007 road king, 15K mi, no issues so far….(new HFTSSM in Aug 09)
Riding home last night, come to my street (fortunately), go to turn the corner, the bike backfires once then dies. Try to start it after a minute, nothing, no click, nothing. Check engine light did NOT come on when I turned on the ignition back on. No fuel pump running either. Turn signals, front lights, neutral light, oil pressure light are on. Did a quick visual inspection of the fuses (I was on the side of the road) and didn’t see anything obvious. Have not checked for codes, was tired after pushing that baby home!!...thank goodness for helpful neighbors.
I did look in the self help section here and didn’t see anything.
My question is, is there anything that just pops out at somebody here, as in, “that happened to me, look at this…”
I’ll check for codes when I get back home today, and check the fuses with the MM, because it seems to me that it must be one of those, but with these bikes electronics, I could be way off.

yup, had dash lights, head and spots on, but no cranking and no fuel pump pressure building, the "engine" light did not come on as it should when first starting.

The "Engine Run" switch on the grip supplies power to the system relay and enables the ECM.

If you have no codes, Step 1 would be to verify B+ power on pin #86 of the system relay when the "Run" switch is set to the Run position. You must have power there before anything will happen.

Remember that the system relay is controlled by the ECM. The ECM will only pick for a few seconds when booted. Once the ECM sees the crank sensor pulse, it once again turns on the system relay so the bike will run.

So, 1st step is to see if you have codes. If yes, follow them out. If no codes, check pin 86 of system relay for B+ with Run switch in RUN position.

Great Hoople, thanks for the info, Since I don't have my manual in front of me, where is the system relay located?

Hopefully your bike is not too much different than mine. In my case (2009) the relay is in the fuse compartment. I have a label on the fuse box cover which indicates which relay does what.

If for some reason you can Not pull codes even if there are codes present, it supports the theory your problem may be in the system relay circuit. That would be easy to fix.

I'm not trying to insult you but I've found it never pays to overlook the obvious or assume anything.

Is there a chance you accidently bumped the "Run" switch to "Off" while turning the corner for home and then got preoccupied with everything else and forgot to put it back to "Run"?

HA!!! no insult taken here, I've been know to do dumber things.:p
But, no the kill switch is in run.
The obvious is usually the hardest to see.....

Don't overlook the battery or the battery connections as the source of power. A poor connection will give you lights but will not crank the engine.

Remove them and clean and reinstall them to eliminate a very common source of a problem like this. Remove the NEG first and install it last after wire brushing all the connections.

You mentioned NEW HFTSSM. Have you explored any problems with that yet? Has the unit been installed long enough to charge the internal battery? (4 hours of riding)

Last edited:
Dr. Doolittle and all:
MAN DO I FEEL STOOPID!!!! :newsmile040:
Just got back home and your comment about the run switch was bugging me, no way, I thought could I have bumped that switch !!! Went out to the garage, and took a look, sure enought it was off. Feeling rather silly, I flipped it to run and off she went, fired right up.
Now what's bugging me is how in the heck did I bump that switch, my thumb is no where near it.....OR.....is this just one of mistery problems that will come back to haunt me when I'm 100 miles from home.
Oh well, guess I'll go fix something else, that was so easy.
Thanks Guys....

Back