free website stats program CHeap but QUALITY lowering options for Deuce | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

CHeap but QUALITY lowering options for Deuce

Really? Maybe my inexperience shows through, but I have not noticed that the ride quality is bad. In what ways are you referring? I will have to admit that I have not ridden any distance yet, but my rides have been quite comfortable thus far.
I know the ride is going to be a little harsher, but I am okay with that from the get go. It currently has a thick seat (stock I assume) which will be replaced in time also. I am not looking for a Ultra Glide ride or anything, just don't want my teeth to fall out while riding. ;-)
I'll most likely let a local shop do the work since I don't have a bike lift..surely it won't be too expensive since it looks like a fairly routine job.

I was referring to AFTER lowering the bike. When you hit bumps, it has a habit of bottoming out rather easily and the ride is a bit stiffer too. Noticeable difference before and after.

I was referring to AFTER lowering the bike. When you hit bumps, it has a habit of bottoming out rather easily and the ride is a bit stiffer too. Noticeable difference before and after.

I lowered my 92 FLHS and 97 FLHT with the shock lowering blocks. Not only does it put the shocks at a severe angle, but it destroyed the outer dust boots also, your ride you decide for me never again JMO:D

So, no suggestions about the best way to do it...just to NOT do it.?? I see lowered bikes everywhere so I am assuming there are tons of people not taking that advice. I assume there are quite a few on here that have done it and not regretted it. Can any of you give me a quick rundown of what you did and whether you are okay with the sub-par ride now..thanks again.

I am far from an expert in this area, but I don't think a lowering kit (the kind you do from under the bike / adjusting the shocks ) will make a difference in the clearance between the fender and the tire. But then again I could be wrong.

I am far from an expert in this area, but I don't think a lowering kit (the kind you do from under the bike / adjusting the shocks ) will make a difference in the clearance between the fender and the tire. But then again I could be wrong.

Take a look in your manual and see the way the suspension works on your softail. Then have someone sit on the bike , then lift up off the seat and see where the wheel goes in relation to the fender.:s

01DUECE4ME...Apparently there are a lot of people out there who lower their bikes (cause you see them every day out riding them) and then there are those who disagree with the whole idea of messing with the geometry of the bike. I am a person who only stands 5’5” and weighs a whopping 155, the lovely Mrs. Slapp is 5’1” and with all her riding gear might weigh in at 110. That means at any given time the minimum load on the bike, riding two up, is no more than 265lbs. The weight ratio is in my favor. As I stated before I have had to lower every Harley I ever owned, and if done properly (no blocks) the results are very workable. Are there some adverse affects to the stiffness of the ride of course there are, but for us it is an evil necessity. Are they as dramatic as others say they are (for us no)? That is for each rider to decide for his or herself. At this very moment I have a 09 Electra Glide with a Burley Slam Kit (lowered front and rear) that to date it is the best riding bike I have ever owned. I also have (for the Misses) a 2011 Heritage with the HD rear 1” lowering kit that also rides like a dream even two up.
In the past I have lowered Sportsters, Road Kings, 2 different Softails, Several Hondas and 1 Suzuki. It is just a necessity for me. My point is that we must all do what we need to do to feel comfortable when we ride. Can all this be taken to extremes? Of course it can. In your case remember this, “once you change it if you do not like it… you can change it back.”

As a last note do not use lowering blocks replace with proper parts in your case the HD lowering kit. Also, don't worry about price, the cheap way always costs more in the long run trust me.
Good luck be safe and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Being fairly new to the H-D game, what Slapp says is what my limited experience of 3 years reflects. I too am a happy customer of a lowered bike according to the Progressive manufacturer's directions. I would agree with Slapp also that you must set up the bike for your riding style and conditions, and if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, use the Internet by typing in suspension tuning and do use a tried and true manufacturer with experience (you do not want to buy stuff that does not meet your expectations. Just don't forget to keep in touch here as you do your mods, we are here to help you at HDTimeline.

Yes, I am 5'6" and had a tough time sizing bikes (especially tall metric Sport bikes with high center of gravity). Messing with ride height - preload and shock selection was tricky on lightweight sport bikes was because the high state of tune with respect to loading, chassis setup required a careful balance when riding at 80% of the motorcycles' capability, and not having "track time" like the pros to figure out what was best. Here is encouragement from me that you will be fine if you do a bit of research.

Back