free website stats program Charging system problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system problem

Thanks, Bubbie. I did do the smell test and it passed. This whole oil thing didn't make any sense to me either.

I was going to run another set of electrical tests last night but something came up. As soon as i do, I will post the results.

I would think the most probable cause of oil in the V/R plug is due to when you change the oil filter oil runs right down the backside of the V/R where the plug is. the problem with testing electrical when it is working the system will pass and no problems found.

Finally got time to run more tests. The stator is putting out 20 vac per 1000 rpm. Using both a test light and ohm meter no indication of a short to ground. VR putting out .26 vac at 1000, 2000, and 3000 rpm. I cleaned all contacts and tested VR output again. I decided to replace the VR. So far so good.

No, I didn't, I hadn't seen this test. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone posting to this site. My first use and I found all the advice very helpful. I will keep everyone informed over the next few days to see if this problem is solved.

It has been several days and several good rides now. The problem seems solved with the replacement of the VR.

I want to thank everyone again for the help.

Back