free website stats program Charging system problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system problem

I ride a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic with about 19,000 miles. Lately the charging system works sometimes and not others. I have tested the stator and VR and haven't found a problem. Replaced the battery 2 months ago.

Today I had a local mechanic test it, not a dealer. He says oil from the primary case is leaking through the stator wires into the plug and into the VR. I have noticed some oil there when I have pulled the connection apart but thought it might be dielectric grease. He thinks I need to replace both the stator and VR.

Has anyone ever run into this before? I would think the cables would be sealed better than than. New one on me.

That's a new one on me. The wires are sealed in the rubber connector. It's not like the wires are inside of straws.

I'm with Breeze on this. First check your battery connections at both ends. Make sure they are clean and tight.

They have been checked. I'm with you on the oil thing, I don't see it as possible. When I left with it to go home the battery light came on almost immediately and stayed on all the way home. I left it idling when I got home and tested it at the battery at 11V even when I revved it to 3,000 rpm. Not charging at all.

Looks like the VR is toast. I've always found that I saved myself some time and headaches by changing out the stator and VR at the same time.

Thanks, Bodeen. This is similar to tests I have been doing, but with more specific data points now for the 38A 3 phase system I am going to run them again. I think it is the VR also, but I don't like to throw parts (money) at it without some specific idea that is where the problem is. I'll post the test results.

The SNIFF TEST is a must... :)

Derby cover off OR the chain adjuster/checker on an older TC...

Sniff and Faint = stator Burnt. :newsmile07:

Oil will not short out the wiring. I used to get Oil in the Rubber Boot Covering the VR connector to the Stator... Always thought that would Short things out BUT it never and on my 00 dyna, seemed to run and charge ok EVEN Though it was full of oil from changing the filter and not cleaning it properly... (Oil would Fill up that rubber boot covering the connector) Only found when I slid Off the rubber cover and what a mess...

THAT ALSO was MY Occasional DRIP of oil on the floor that Drove me NUTS for a LONG Time,,, until I found that Oil in the Boot covering the wire connector...

signed....BUBBIE

Back