free website stats program Charging problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging problem

89 FXRS

Is the voltage regulator bad if it reads 14.1 -14.2 @3600rpm but only 11.8-11.9 at idle? Bike seems to discharge the battery slowly when driving in stop and go traffic. I replaced the stator about 1,500 miles ago and did not replace the voltage regulator - everything seemed fine until now - the guage shows the volts go down below 12.0 at idle but shoot back up as soon as I increase the rpm's. This is on a 2001 FLTR carb. model

It could be a lazy regulator or even a poor ground at the regulator or ground wires. Did you load test the battery?

Other than that the output is well within limits on the high end.

Check over the voltage regulator wiring harness where it goes down under the bracket for the regulator, they have been known to wear through there too.

glider - just checked the wires you mentioned and all seems well - if in fact it's a lazy regulator does that mean it should be replaced?

it's not uncommon to have to replace the voltage regulator when you change a stator.

After checking out some other things, if it is an 89 that hasn't been replaced, it couldn't hurt.

Sorry was looking at your log in name.

Have a load test done on the battery first.

No I haven't, but I will - would you happen to know the numbers I should get when running the load test?
The factory book states that it is a 38 amp system and that at 3600 rpms it should read 14.3 - 14.7volts, I'm only getting 14.1 - 14.2, is this accepable?
Also the factory book gives the rating at 3600 rpm's but doesn't give the numbers on what it should be at idle - would you happen to know what it is?

The meter used in the load test will usually give you the condition of the battery in a pass or fail situation and how fast the voltage falls off. The voltage you are getting isn't much to worry about. Check the battery for the proper electrolyte fill if it isn't a sealed battery first.

The meter used in the load test will usually give you the condition of the battery in a pass or fail situation and how fast the voltage falls off. The voltage you are getting isn't much to worry about. Check the battery for the proper electrolyte fill if it isn't a sealed battery first.

OK glider I'm going to get the load test and go from there (probably tommorrow)- it'a a factory sealed HD battery. And no numbers on how much volts it should be putting out at idle? /thanks so much for all your help - fxrs

Back