free website stats program Charging problem | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging problem

to be on the safe side and leave no doubt I think I'll just replace the regulator
thanks for all your input guys -fxrs

to be on the safe side and leave no doubt I think I'll just replace the regulator
thanks for all your input guys -fxrs

Not unusual for the VR to go shortly after the stator has fried (which I assume is why you replaced it). And since you did that not too long ago, I would see if you can get away with just replacing the VR. I usually like to do them both at the same time since for some reason they seem to fail fairly close together.

Let us know how it goes.

TQ

Not unusual for the VR to go shortly after the stator has fried (which I assume is why you replaced it). And since you did that not too long ago, I would see if you can get away with just replacing the VR. I usually like to do them both at the same time since for some reason they seem to fail fairly close together.

Let us know how it goes.

TQ

TQuentin - I have gone about 1,500 miles since I changed the stator - all test seem to indicate that the stator is putting out the correct volts, so if I replace the just the voltage regulator now I should be OK don't you think???

Well I installed a new voltage regulator based on the test that glider posted as well as the advice of glider and TQuentin1 and so far so good - I haven't had a chance to take it for a good ride yet but from the voltage it is putting out I think it's a go - thanks to glider and TQ for your advice and suggestions
Appearently the test ran at the H-D dealership in my case wasn't accurate - I think you hit the nail on the head - glider - when you said I may have a lazy regulator - that sun of a gun seem to only want to work a couple of minutes a day LOL Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to get in a good ride and give it a test and see, right now I've got my fingers crossed!
Once again, thank you guys for all your input and help - This was my first expierence on this forum and not my last - lots of great reading as well as a lot to learn - GREAT FORUM GUYS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got my fingers crossed for you too. Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose sometimes.

Back