free website stats program Changing of Road Glide Handle bars | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing of Road Glide Handle bars

WildThang

I have a buddy who is changing his CVO Road Glide handlebars...and is running into problems with the TBW harness (moving it to the new bars). He was curious if there is a special tool/trick to disassemble the canon plug to enable removal.

I have a buddy who is changing his CVO Road Glide handlebars...and is running into problems with the TBW harness (moving it to the new bars). He was curious if there is a special tool/trick to disassemble the canon plug to enable removal.

The TBW harness has a connector inside the handle bar that connects the twist grip sensor to the TBW harness & a connector inside the fairing connecting the TBW harness to the main harness ! To disconnect the connector inside the handle bar you have to take off the outer fairing and find the TBW harness and disconnect the connector , you will have to feed the wire towards the handle bar because there is a bundle of wires there & you do not want to damage the connector , then you will have enough slack to pull the TBW harness out to the end of the handle bar & disconnect the connector , then pull the harness out of the lower end of the handle bar . I took a piece of wire & run it through the new handle bar & taped it to the TBW harness & pulled the harness through the new bar , plug the twist grip sensor and the TBW harness together and then feed the TBW harness back towards the main harness & plug it together , then all you have to do is put everything back together .

The CVO's, with their internally wired bars run a different harness that what is in the typical tourer...he is needing information on how to disaseemble the connector

My 2008 has an electrical diagnostics service manual that explains how to take a connector apart. Don't know if the 2010 has the same thing. I just changed my handlebars (again) and ran the wires internally this timesince. Since my warranty is up in a month, I just cut the plug off and soldered them back together. Someone posted on a different thread that some dealer told them this could change the resistance, but I've worked in electronics all my life and thought this was horse puckey. And after some testing, I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

The CVO's, with their internally wired bars run a different harness that what is in the typical tourer...he is needing information on how to disaseemble the connector

I would think that the removal of the wires would be the same as a non CVO model there is more wires inside the handle bar but the TBW will still have the connectors inside the bar and in the fairing and to get enough slack in the wires you will have to go and disconnect the harness under the fairing . I do not have a CVO model but I would think that the TBW harness is seprate from the switch control harness the 2 harness may be bundled together . On my bike the switch control harness plugs in under the instrument nacelle but the TBW harness go into the fairing . Let us know how it goes .

Yes, CVO'S do not have any connectors inside bars to make room for the other wires..
Here's some instructions, if you do not have the tools needed I would just take the bars with the connector still on to your local dealer and if he's a good dealer he will pop them off for you in two seconds at no charge. or I would pick up a electrial diagnostic manual and MOLEX ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR
TERMINAL REMOVER HD-48114
Removing Terminals
1. Pull the secondary lock up, approximately 3/16 in. (4.8
mm), until it stops.
a. Socket Housing: See Figure A-25. Use a small
screwdriver in the pry slot. The slot next to the
external latch provides a pivot point.
b. Pin Housing: See Figure A-26. Use needle nose
pliers to engage the D-holes in the center of the secondary
lock.
NOTE
Do not remove the secondary lock from the connector housing.
2. See Figure A-27. Insert MOLEX ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR
TERMINAL REMOVER (Part No. HD-48114)
into the pin hole next to the terminal until the tool bottoms.
a. Socket Housing: The pin holes are inside the terminal
openings.
b. Pin Housing: The pin holes are outside the pins.
3. Pressing the terminal remover to the bottom of the pin
hole, gently pull on the wire to remove wire terminal from
its cavity.
good luck

Yes, CVO'S do not have any connectors inside bars to make room for the other wires..
Here's some instructions, if you do not have the tools needed I would just take the bars with the connector still on to your local dealer and if he's a good dealer he will pop them off for you in two seconds at no charge. or I would pick up a electrial diagnostic manual and MOLEX ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR
TERMINAL REMOVER HD-48114
Removing Terminals
1. Pull the secondary lock up, approximately 3/16 in. (4.8
mm), until it stops.
a. Socket Housing: See Figure A-25. Use a small
screwdriver in the pry slot. The slot next to the
external latch provides a pivot point.
b. Pin Housing: See Figure A-26. Use needle nose
pliers to engage the D-holes in the center of the secondary
lock.
NOTE
Do not remove the secondary lock from the connector housing.
2. See Figure A-27. Insert MOLEX ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR
TERMINAL REMOVER (Part No. HD-48114)
into the pin hole next to the terminal until the tool bottoms.
a. Socket Housing: The pin holes are inside the terminal
openings.
b. Pin Housing: The pin holes are outside the pins.
3. Pressing the terminal remover to the bottom of the pin
hole, gently pull on the wire to remove wire terminal from
its cavity.
good luck

Passed on the info to him...thanks!

Hopefully your friend got the Chubbies, they give ya a bit more room ta get aroud the corners. Ya gotta take the wires off the plugs, they won't fit through the handlebars, there are no connections at the controllers. Make sure you either have a manuel or draw a diagram. There are 2 sets of wires on the TBW , if memory serves me, both of em are Red, Black and White if ya get em backwards your throttle won't work so mark them and the connector with a silver paint pen before you take them apart. The tool mentioned above is a special order from HD, a good NAPA Auto Parts store has a very simular tool. If I had it to do all over, I'd do as suggested, pull the old handlebars off and have the dealer change the wires out. As far as getting the wires back through the New bars. Use a compressor ta blow a strong string (like a chalk line) through the bars, There are two openings for your wires on the CVO, make sure ya get the right wires through the right openings. Good luck and take yer time, it'll get aggravating but can be done.

Back