free website stats program Changing battery cables on '12 UC | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing battery cables on '12 UC

TQuentin1

Staff member
I have been having intermittent slow starts that I have attributed to bad cables. I am hoping that is the problem.

But getting into the job, what a nightmare!!! Especially getting to the engine end of the negative cable that is under the inboard end of the starter!!! See the pix below Why does Harley design stuff to be so difficult when it would be just as easy to design it to be more accessible. Oh well. Getting it done.

The new cables are particularly more robust than OEM. See the pix below. Here is the website I ordered them from:

http://www.sumax.com/battery_cables.html

For the '12 UC, these were #22017

Cheers,

TQ

Also changed out the plug wires. Here are some pix of those. Here is the website I ordered the plug wires from:

http://www.sumax.com/StreeThunder_Wires.html

For the '12 UC, #ST236

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Battery cable end - negative engine side.pdf
    497.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Replacement battery cable positive - right new one-2.pdf
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Replacement battery cable positive - left new one.pdf
    962.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - right side new ones.pdf
    735.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - top new ones.pdf
    748.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - top new ones-2.pdf
    592.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - left side new ones.pdf
    764.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - right side new ones.pdf
    735.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - top new ones.pdf
    748.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - top new ones-2.pdf
    592.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Replacement sparkplug wires - left side new ones.pdf
    764.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is not unknown for corrosion to build up on the inside of battery cables restricting the supply of power under heavy load
If the negative is a pain to get to you could possibly cut off the old and select a new point to mount the negative to

Brian

It is not unknown for corrosion to build up on the inside of battery cables restricting the supply of power under heavy load
If the negative is a pain to get to you could possibly cut off the old and select a new point to mount the negative to

Brian

VERY TEMPTING!!! But I got 'er done. Just a royal pain to get to that spot under the inboard end of the starter.

Cheers,

TQ

As long as there is a good ground contact there will be a full circuit it does not really matter where it is

Brian

It seems that battery cable was installed first then they built a motorcycle.....
Kudos for job well done TQ.;)

I had intermittent slow starts on My 2012 Limited.I found that the ACR was turned off.I was using SEPST and I turned it back on.I still have no idea how it got turned off.Slow start was most noticeable when hot.

I had intermittent slow starts on My 2012 Limited.I found that the ACR was turned off.I was using SEPST and I turned it back on.I still have no idea how it got turned off.Slow start was most noticeable when hot.

Mine is an intermittent problem. Does not happen every time.

How do you turn it on if it is off if I do not have a SEPST?

Cheers,

TQ

If You don't have a tuner ,then Digital Technician is the only way.It won't throw a code if turned off.
Apparently drag racers want to shut it off.

If You don't have a tuner ,then Digital Technician is the only way.It won't throw a code if turned off.
Apparently drag racers want to shut it off.
That's interesting for the ECM controls the ACR.

So I need to take it to HD to have them determine if the ACR is enabled or not?

Man!!! Hate to have to do that. Seems like there should be some way to query the system for current status of those types of settings.

As an aside, how could the ACR disable itself?

Cheers,

TQ

Back