Change Steering Stem Bearings on 2006 Dyan

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by Kjay, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Kjay

Kjay Member

Has anyone changed the steering stem bearing on 06 Dyan? Is it very difficult and time consuming or am I better off taking it to the shop?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Not that hard, but WAY easier with the puller/installer tool. Check out George's Garage tools to compare prices.

TQ

3. Kjay

Kjay Member

After reading some of the replies on this site I feel that the reason I want to change the bearings is because of the clunking sound I am hearing like a lot other people I felt this should clear the problem.

The puller installer, is that one tool or two?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  4. you re gonna need a bearing race installer and you're gonna need a bearing race remover---- you can get the races out if you have a welder-- spot weld then they tend to loosen up with heat loss-- personally i dont turn wrenches that way but it does work................ cost for driver an split collet race remover 115-165,, cost for installer-- 125 appx. quite easy once you have tools in hand..................

5. jel123

jel123 Active Member

just use a punch to remove the old ones and put the new ones in your freezer over nite they will go in easy with a punch but on a 2006 i can,t belive this is the problem try rebacing the bearings a readjust your headset that should cure it,jel

6. jmpancoast

jmpancoast Active Member

The front end clunk is a common issue on the later models, especially the 06 - 07 Dynas. Changing the bearings would be similar to cutting off your big toe because you believe you have a hang-nail.

The fix for the clunk is fairly simple and very cheap. Here is a copy of a service bulletin put out by Harley. Many have been able to get their dealer to do the fix at no charge. I recommend doing the work yourself to ensure it is done correctly.

If you would like a full size copy of this service bulletin in pdf format, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Check here:

Chassis Tools

TQ

8. RickyBobby

RickyBobby Active Member

Jmpancoast has the ticket right there. That is the cure, not the bearings. :)

Getting rid of that foul oil that Showa puts in the forks and go with the type E Harley fork oil improves the dampening of the forks too. You can notice it right off.

9. Kjay

Kjay Member

Rickybobby you were right Jmpancoast had the right idea. I use his method and it only cost me $6.40. and 5 to 10 minutes to install the kit which was only a thin washer about 1 inch in diameter. I try it and no more clunk. Beforehand I had taken the bike to Harley and was informed I needed new steering head bearings which were $28.00 each needing 2 and labor would run in the range of $270 -$300, I talked to a private mechanic he said hed charge about $150 for labor and I buy the bearings which I found for $20 each. So for anyone else that may not be aware this site can save you a lot of money. I am just suprised that there is a service bulletin about this situation and the stealership didn''t inform me, well thatis why I call it the stealership. Thanks guys. Stay safe on the blacktop

10. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

When doing neck bearings on my springer I couldnt get the races out.Didnt have a puller handy so I called an old time mechanic friend.He asked if I had a welder?That I did have {little 110 mig}.He told me to perform a couple of quik tacs directly on the races which I did.The races fell right out with no damage to the neck.
    Much easier than a puller if you happen to have a mig.