free website stats program Change Steering Stem Bearings on 2006 Dyan | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Change Steering Stem Bearings on 2006 Dyan

Rickybobby you were right Jmpancoast had the right idea. I use his method and it only cost me $6.40. and 5 to 10 minutes to install the kit which was only a thin washer about 1 inch in diameter. I try it and no more clunk. Beforehand I had taken the bike to Harley and was informed I needed new steering head bearings which were $28.00 each needing 2 and labor would run in the range of $270 -$300, I talked to a private mechanic he said hed charge about $150 for labor and I buy the bearings which I found for $20 each. So for anyone else that may not be aware this site can save you a lot of money. I am just suprised that there is a service bulletin about this situation and the stealership didn''t inform me, well thatis why I call it the stealership. Thanks guys. Stay safe on the blacktop

Well done Kjay! :D Part of the deal is that when you have a problem you have to provide background info such as "it was working fine, but just developed a klunk in the steering head." The posters would then have have thought lubrication and adjustment of fallaway etc. and then looked at parts replacements and Service Bulletins. As you went immediately to the stem bearing replacement issue, everyone thought you were doing the deed and needed help there.

And yes you taught all of us a lesson to check if there are outstanding Service Bulletins pertaining to the issue or "symptom" at hand. Thank you for your posts and for the heads-up, we all learn here in the HDT community, which is why it is such a pleasure being a member here! :s

Back