free website stats program Ceramic Coated Headers | Harley Davidson Forums

Ceramic Coated Headers

Mattman4403

I got my 08 ultra back from winter storage this weekend. Had the headers ceramic coated at Jet Hot with the Extreme Sterling finish. Pipes really look great supposed to stop any bluing or any color distoration. We will see about that. Also supposed to lower the skin temperature of the pipes. It was only about 50 out when I got out for a short ride but sitting at stop lights, I did not get any unpleasant heat off the rear header. I will update this as i get more time in. Also have to take a couple of pics and get them posted.

Is it a local plater/painter, do they etch or remove the existing chrome? Is it as simple as pulling your pipes and sending in to have them done? Does the ceramic finish require special clamps to prevent scuffing damaging the coating? What was the approximate cost if we may ask, how long is the turnaround, and what type of warranty/guarantee do they offer?

Thanks Hobbit, that stuff looks pretty cool, sounds like a nice way to go and sure sounds expensive if they don't even give you a ROM estimate to have the work done.

Is it a local plater/painter, do they etch or remove the existing chrome? Is it as simple as pulling your pipes and sending in to have them done? Does the ceramic finish require special clamps to prevent scuffing damaging the coating? What was the approximate cost if we may ask, how long is the turnaround, and what type of warranty/guarantee do they offer?

You neglegted to ask if it was boxers or briefs :bigsmiley20:

It cost about $250 for the front and back headers back to the mufflers. No specail clamps or anything like that specified on the re-install. Everything seems to be sealed up tight. I only got out for a short run (about 50 miles round trip) so not a lot of chance to really evaulate things. I had to leave to take care of some family business but I hope to be back in a week or so and get a little more time in on the pipes. I will try and get some pics posted this weekend and get them included.

Sounds like a reasonable alternative to standard chrome and also black or gray finish for the street fighter - performance racer type rides...

Well I got back home from my family duties and got a chance to take a heat shileld loose and take some photos of the header pipes. Like I stated earlier, this is the color Jet Hot calls extreem Silver Supposed to do a better job of holding the heat.

Attachments

• 2009_Header 001.jpg
    2009_Header 001.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 2009_Header 003.jpg
    2009_Header 003.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 2009_Header 004.jpg
    2009_Header 004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 2009_Header 005.jpg
    2009_Header 005.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 182
This is after about 50 miles of around town. My dealer had a set of pipes off of a new glide that they had put true duals on so they sent those off . My bike had about 9000 miles on it when I dropped off last November to have some service work done and the header swith done. I really like the way it made the little gap under the timing cover look. Have yet to see just how the coating holds up to a few miles.

Mattman, great job...the pipes look outstanding, finish looks like a cross between billet and chrome, pulling together the engine case finish, and chrome heatshield beautifully. :small3d028:

Back