free website stats program carburetor or fuel injected | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

carburetor or fuel injected

My first Harley was a carbed 2003 Sport and I never had a single issue with it. Never popped back and routinely got 50MPG. Yes it was cold blooded when starting, but as long as you weren’t stingy with the choke it ran like a champ. It would even pull the choke back in on its own when it warmed and you got into the throttle.

The Sports replacement is the 2001 Road King with MM injection. It too runs like a champ and gets 40-42MPG, however I feel intimidated that I won’t be able to figure it out should something go wrong. If it ever develops a fatal tuning problem I will likely replace with a carb. I don’t have a need to squeeze out every last horsepower, I just like simple and reliable. Yes I’m a dinosaur and proud of it.

Sure didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest here just let me shed a little light on were I am coming from. I am 57 years old, been pulling wrenches since 1974, 35 going on 36 years, its not fun anymore, I bought this thing to ride.

Everyone has a good side to what is the way to go. 883 to 1200 the 12 is the way to go. If DIY is your go than the carb is you. I wrenched at shops for some time and the FI is the better runner of the two but my old man turned me on to the love of old technology. It always seems to be honest. Or it is just my pull to the old ways.

i've had both carbed and efi, i'd go with the efi any day, out matches my carbed bike 10 to 1., most of it is starting , its starts so quick with efi.

With efi you just start and go. No fuss, no muss. I'm carbed and don't have an issue with using the choke but, she can take some time to warm up.

I'm not that mechanically inclined so, my preference would be efi and leave the wrenching to the pros if needed.

i don't regret my efi at all. carbs give me more options with my own hands, but the efi doesn't seem to require much fixin

Back