free website stats program carburetor or fuel injected | Harley Davidson Forums

carburetor or fuel injected

bikecurious

Hey guys,
While exploring my options for my first bike I've come across 2 bikes that I really like one is a 04 1200r and the other is an 07 883
both have low miles and at a fair price (883 being more expensive)
I just wonder, although the fuel injection may be convienent, will it end up costing me more money in the long run? I have the money now to get it going and on the road, but once all is said and done, I'm going to be learning to work on it myself ( with the help of friends and the forum of course)
Would I be able to learn maintnence better on a bike with a carburetor ?
Is there a big difference with reliability?

Working in automotive repair I am very happy to watch the old carb fade to black. Agree with Hobbit you can likely do more on your own with the carb, but the fuel injection just works, runs better, more efficient all it wants is clean fuel. I'll vote fuel injection 10/10 times. Sorry old school guys.

Would I be able to learn maintnence better on a bike with a carburetor?
I don't it makes and difference, maintnence is maintnence efi or carb. I agree with Hobbit, go for the 1200, 04 it was a good year for XL's.

My personal feeling is that a carburetored bike is MUCH simpler for the new DIYer to deal with than a FI bike. The Keihin CV carb is VERY simple, but a great device. There is only a low speed jet, high speed jet and needle, and a mixture screw (that usually has to be uncovered!). So with a selection of a few different jets and a extra seal/gasket for the float bowl, almost anyone can handle a carbed engine. Once set, the carb is set until you change something.

The FI engine is more complicated. There are a bunch of sensors on the engine locating the crank, checking the engine speed, checking head temperature, and other stuff all of which can malfunction and then need diagnosis to figure out. Most newbies give up on this and take the bike in for a $65-90 click rate Tech to find the problem.

But it is your call. If the DIYer part is less important to you, then buy a bike based on all the other features you are interested in. If DIYing is important, find a carbed bike you want.

TQ

I have to agree with TQ. KISS (keep it simple stupid) I see a few people wanting to know about convertng back to a carb.
kemo

Working in automotive repair I am very happy to watch the old carb fade to black. Agree with Hobbit you can likely do more on your own with the carb, but the fuel injection just works, runs better, more efficient all it wants is clean fuel. I'll vote fuel injection 10/10 times. Sorry old school guys.
I'm with you Charlies, I'm old school but not unschooled, I will never buy a carbureted bike again, unless maybe a old pan or Indian, EFI is far more tuneable then a campbell's soup ever could be, but I like the 1200 and 04 does have the rubber mount engine along with some buell technology mixed in. A 883 is just not a 1200 and why try to make something it's not, it's never the same, I voted for the 1200 not for the carb.

+1 here for the TFI. For all the reasons listed above and you never need to worry about altitude changes. I go from 3K to 10K+ feet in a day and never need to worry about jetting.

I have to go along with the FI guys, also. Yes there are sensors up the wazoo....Yes the "computers" that the FI units utilize can be intimidating. Yes, carbs are simpler...if they're running right. Can't tell you how long it took me to learn how to tune and trouble shoot the 3x2 barrel Holleys that are on my old Galaxie. Modern FI units are pretty reliable and trouble free. Much better than carbs IMO....

Well I am biased and like carbs, but for all the reasons TQ stated. Being new to the V-Twin scene, just at 2 1/2 years, I find I am still a very happy HD Sportster rider with carburetor fueling. Have no problem with cold starting, and fueling is spot on. :bigsmiley11:

Like Chop says, EFI is the wave of the future and is very good once setup properly...just takes more savvy, experience and $$$'s...! One need only look at all cages that are EFI equipped, to see it is pretty much standard fare and all the nits are worked out. :s

EFI obviously works, but is still fairly new to motorcycles although even OFF ROAD DIRT BIKES have gone to EFI and Disc Brakes, once the old timers got over the fact that new tech is not too FRAGILE in the rough and tumble world if done right. :small3d029:

Back