free website stats program Can you get ABS for a non ABS bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you get ABS for a non ABS bike

I got to ask, where did you find this information? Nothing I have ever read supports this statement. If this is true, I sure would like to see the article, book, whatever, that provides the data.

Thanks,
Jake

I too would like to see it cause it aint so my rkc stopps fater than a non abs bike

Professional driver on a closed course the non-ABS equipped bikes have been proven to have a shorter stopping distance.For the average rider the ABS equipped bike has a shorter stopping distance.There has been government and independant testing on both sides of the border.This is a dabate that will never go away and the proponents of each side will site statistics that support their view.
I prefer non-abs,but that is just because I feel more comfortable with all of the control at my fingertips.(read oldschool:D)

Yes, I have seen this, but it only applies to about 1% or 2% of the riders out there. The vast majority of riders should see an improvement in stopping ability, especially on slick surfaces. I'm sure if we take a poll, 30% or more will say they belong in that top 2%, because we all think we're better riders than we actually are. For the vast majority, IMHO, ABS is a safety improvement and I welcome it on my Ultra. Since my Dyna does not have it, I get to practice a lot without it, and think I do pretty good, but I'm not in the top 2%.

I too would like to see it cause it aint so my rkc stopps fater than a non abs bike

I got to ask, where did you find this information? Nothing I have ever read supports this statement. If this is true, I sure would like to see the article, book, whatever, that provides the data.

Thanks,
Jake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS)
Can, but are NOT designed to help you stop faster!

By: James R. Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the general impression that ABS equipped vehicles can stop faster than those without, in general this is not true. ABS is primarily intended to help prevent the loss of control (caused by locked brakes), not to in some magical way make the brakes more effective at stopping the vehicle.

The reason ABS is not particularly effective in terms of braking ability on dry surfaces is that it is generally pretty easy to avoid locking the brakes anyway. So, I suppose, there are those that will argue that ABS helps you stop faster on slippery surfaces even if not on dry ones.

In fact that is not always true either. There are tests that show improved stopping performance (for cars and trucks) on WET surfaces, where drivers are more apt to overuse their brakes to the point of locking them, but there are several other studies that demonstrate absolutely convincingly that braking distances increase with ABS over non-ABS equipped vehicles when riding on loose gravel or snow covered surfaces. (This, because gravel and loose snow piles up and tends to create a 'dam' in front of a locked wheel where a rolling wheel tends to ride up and over a much smaller 'dam'.)

But 'maintaining control' is a good thing by itself, right? Surely that is good enough reason to require every vehicle to have ABS equipped brakes, right?

Nope.

In February of this year (1996) the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced it had dropped the federal safety standard requirement for anti-lock brake systems on all new cars.

They did so because studies showed a 0% decrease in the overall number of accidents when comparing ABS equipped cars against those without ABS, AND because these studies showed a 40% increase in single vehicle run-off-the-road accidents with ABS equipped cars. (Apparently your odds of getting into an accident if you lock your brakes in a car is less than if you do not - implying that if you lock them you will likely simply slide in the direction you were moving, but if you maintain some measure of (impaired) control you are likely to throw the vehicle into a path that takes you off the road.)

I think ABS makes sense for a cage, and maybe more sense for an 18-wheeler, but is of marginal value on a motorcycle EXCEPT IN THE EVENT THAT YOU ARE PRONE TO PANIC AND OVERUSE YOUR BRAKES (in which case ABS can easily save your life!). It affects stopping distance insignificantly. What it is intended to do is help maintain control if you ride over surfaces that provide uneven traction - such as a patch of ice. A cage could hit that patch with just one tire, or just the tires on one side, and braking and control could easily be lost as a result. If you hit ice with a motorcycle it will invariably be with both tires. Meanwhile, a slide is a slide is a slide.

On the other hand, if your bike is equipped with ABS you do not have to be as skillful with your brakes and if you want to eliminate the chance of locking either your front or rear wheels, ABS is just the ticket for you. (I think working at making your braking skills as good as possible is a better strategy for almost anybody.)

One other thing, you might consider ABS as a form of insurance. I, for example, have deer whistles on my bike as a form of insurance even though I have essentially no confidence that they are effective. If price is not an issue, and even if you are not totally convinced that ABS will save your life someday, it might be worth it to you to have ABS on your bike.

Obviously, these are just my opinions on the matter. I do not want to leave you with the impression that I'm recommending against having ABS. Instead, I'd prefer you made that decision based on being informed and having realistic expectations.

DBMG,

Good post, but who is the author, and what are his credentials? Is he someone of skill and recognition in the industry?

Thanks,
Jake

might want to look into traction control brake system. looks interesting run you about 240.00 for all 3 brakes. eglidegoodies has a description and order form.

anything newer than a qouted article from 1996 thats 15 years ago im no fan of abs on a car or truck but i like it on my RKC and it almost never goes off

If it makes you feel safer go with ABS, but dont assume it will make you a better rider if you dont already have good braking skills, ABS was originally designed to keep the vehicles brakes from locking up and skidding, back in the day of early ABS systems there were a lot of problems but now with micro processors doing most of the work it is a pretty good system tho spendy to work on JMO:s

anything newer than a qouted article from 1996 thats 15 years ago im no fan of abs on a car or truck but i like it on my RKC and it almost never goes off

I have been looking for some new stuff on this, but there is not that much. Looks like the ABS systems (originally developed for stopping airplanes) have not changed much in principle and in operation in the last decade or so.

More talk of building "dams" in front of the tire from debris, issues with "wavy/bumpy" asphalt at stop signs and wet/ice/gravel, all working in concert. I will keep looking but again, not much new on the pros/cons.

I have it on my Ultra as I freely admit I'm not one of those better riders. Don't really know how well it works because those Brembo brakes are such an improvement over the ones I had on my old RK. They are awesome!

Back