free website stats program Can you get ABS for a non ABS bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you get ABS for a non ABS bike

Can you buy and install ABS on a 06 ultra classic? it was offered on the 09 but the bike I bought didn't have it. I'd like to put it on if I could. Anyone know?

Can you buy and install ABS on a 06 ultra classic? it was offered on the 09 but the bike I bought didn't have it. I'd like to put it on if I could. Anyone know?

Dont think there is a retro fit , call your local Dealer

no its doesnt retor fit you would need a pump sensors harness ecm etc etc

Just something to consider, ABS trains your brain, foot and hand to cram on the brakes with full force every time you are surprised. You are trained away from any brake finesse. Should the ABS ever fail or malfunction, you are almost guaranteed a crash before your brain can process that the "standard" brake application is causing a skid.

I concur with Smitty and Bud.
I asked about this at the dealer when I bought mine (adding ABS) since it didn't have it. It is only a FACTORY option. Like they said, you would have to strip the bike down to the frame, new wiring harness, computer, pump, etc.

btsom: I agree with you about training your brain, but I on the fence with ABS. I like knowing how to brake properly without it, but I also have read in many article on ABS testing that occasionally a racer can brake better than ABS on a dry road. Wet roads: ABS wins hands down. If I ever get a new HD, I think I will go with ABS. I did try it on some rentals and it is impressive. I would be concerned about the system failing and riding, but I would try and get if fixed ASAP. Then again, I haven't heard about too many problems with the system. I think all the police HD's have ABS. I think in 2006 only the police had the option and in 2007 HD started to offer the Brembo ABS to the public (but I could be wrong). It would be nice if there was a easy way to add it...

I actually prefer non-ABS & specifically looked for bike w/o this option. I've always applied both brakes when stopping & feel better control over ABS...

This is a to each there own i own a bike with it and one with out .. guess what the abs bike stops better even when not using abs in the rain there not evean a chance for the other to preform as well

Not going to rehash the benefits of ABS, but military has been using it successfully for years and dealer "might" retrofit (probably a discussed mod in their closed door "service meetings" if done at a dealer). But as others said, probably more expensive than getting a bike already equipped with it. :15:

I prefer A.B.S. in the cage but not on the bike. I have had a couple of instances that would not have faired as well with the bike, do to the increased stopping distance needed with A.B.S. The ability to stomp on the brakes and steer in cage is OK but doing the same on the bike with 2 wheels does not seem possible.
As others have said it would be cheaper to buy a new bike with A.B.S. do to to complexity on the system.

do to the increased stopping distance needed with A.B.S.

I got to ask, where did you find this information? Nothing I have ever read supports this statement. If this is true, I sure would like to see the article, book, whatever, that provides the data.

Thanks,
Jake

Back