free website stats program Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Cams

bigcletus

To start my engine upgrade, piece by piece, I've decided to start with cams. I already have Stage 1 done, so now I'm a cam-shopping. I will go after market, unless someone has a good reason not to (no warranty concerns).

What is the difference between all the types of cams?? I see chain, hydraulic, and gear. Can all 3 be used in a stock engine ?? Which is the best (and why??).

I "think" I will go with Andrews..they see to have good reviews.
Thanks

2007 RG, V&H True Duals, V&H Fuelpak, AN Big Sucker

I can't tell you much about the different grinds (profiles) but I can tell you that gear driven cams have more precise cam timing but DEMAND true (low run-out) crank shafts. Chain drive is a lot more forgiving of runout of the crankshaft, but then you need to accept chain backlash timing issues. I would think you should send out your crank for pin welding & truing for gear driven cams.

Talk to Hobbit. I think he has been there and back with different cams and performance profiles. I am sure he can give you some Great advice.

You already have the roller chain and hydraulic tensioners in your '07. If you want to upgrade the cams, below is some info from Andrews Products, and comparing other mfrs. as well. As a note, if you change your cams, I suggest up-grading the inner cam shaft support bearings to the Torringtons if there are INAs in there now.

The other option you have is gear drive. I personally opted for the roller chain because of the need for so many alternative over and under size gears to deal with the lash specs. Now that assumes wanting to order everything at once and get the bike back on the road quickly.

Another consideration with respect to gear drive is runout on the pinion shaft. See the info below.

If you decide to just change out the cams, see my pictorial below.

2007 Twin 96 and 2006 DynaGlide Performance Cams

Cam Specifications - Harley Davidson Community

Pinion shaft runout and cam shafts' drive systems - Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

In my 05 UC I went with Andrews, they make nice cams, As far as which ones, I would find a very good engine builder and talk to them about future plans for your motor so that later down the road you don't find out that you have undersized your cams. Don't jump just to put cams in, in could cost you in the end. Something else you might wanna check out to see what kind of motor kits are out there that will give you what you are looking for. S&S Cycle - Performance Parts for American V-Twins

Although everyone brings up their own opinions of what is good and what is not good, I would NOT BE AFRAID of some aftermarket companies, there are alot of great aftermarket products, besides, Harley does not make all of their parts, ie: HD brake rotors are made by Sunstar. I have never ran ony other cams than Andrews, S&S make awesome performance products, Baker transmission parts, just to name a few. But it is your money and to be honest with you, when I have my motors done, I put in what I want, although I would never use products like Rev-Tech, or Ultima or stuff like that. But there are some excellent aftermarket companies, HD is not always the answer for everyone, My buddy runs a Zippers kit in his bike, been in there since 02, never had one problem, another friend has a HD kit in his 07 RG, all kinds of problems, so, anything can happen. Good luck.

Thanks...I want to go with quality after-market.. For me, I feel HD parts are over-priced mediocre in quality. I am looking at Andrews..and I do have someone that can do the work. I'm talking to him tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Although I do believe to that some HD parts are overpriced, I do have to admit that 9 out of 10 times the quality and fit and finish are superior. As far as motor parts, Screaming Eagle are very good quality, I also agree that some aftermarket products are just as good or sometimes even better than Hd, but not with all. I have HD 95" jugs and pistons in my bike, with Andrews Cams and Vance and Hines CNC Ported heads, S.E. pushrods and a Race tuner. But depending what you are looking for aftermarket may be the way to go, just remember this piece of advice, if it is ALOT cheaper than Harley brand, I would be hesitant. Also, if a HD dealer is doing your work, they should give you a decent deal on parts. My dealer gives members of their HOG chapter 15% off. Chicago Harley gives you 20%, but I like to support my dealer and understand they need to make money, so I pay them. Good luck.

I just went through this cam dilemma when I built my 106 last week. I was told by many guys both gear drive and stick with chain drive. I went with chain drive b/c I did not have the cash or the means to split the case and send the crank to be welded and trued. I have an 08 so I am not so sure how much of a problem run-out has been on these motors. I just put the 106 in it and I ride it hard and put it up wet, so we will see if I have an issue. As far as my cam choice I went with S&S 551 easy start cams. They were great quality and have given me TONS of torque down low out of that big motor, however I sacrificed up high power, but I rarely play up in the 5500 - 6500 RPM range. It just depends on your riding style what you want, but I will tell you that I looked at andrews and yes, even the SE cams. I just wanted to try out the easy start feature on the S&S cams and so far I am happy. The 106 kit bumped my CR up to 10:1. I can tell when the bike is hot and I go to crank it over!!!! Those easy start cams are saving me the cost of a starter!! Whatever you go with good luck, and you will enjoy it I am sure. 3/4 of the fun of these bikes is making them your own. (Sometimes over and over and over....)

however I sacrificed up high power, but I rarely play up in the 5500 - 6500 RPM range...)

Sounds like you got it going well! Don't forget the "under the Graph" torque curve or spread of the torque curve can be changed with the type of pipes you select.

What are you running for pipes.

Back