free website stats program CAM Tensioner question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

CAM Tensioner question

I changed mine in may not that bad of a job I got all of my stuff from John Wadsworth at Herco it come as a complete kit including Cams with tools needed it was just under $1200.It took me about 8 hours total but i also changed the tappet cover gasket.Also the kit come with screaming Eagle 2 piece push-rods

I thought John Wadsworth (Herko) provided superior service and technical advice. I corresponded with him several times to get questions answered. He says it is part of the service. He also provides new bolts, gaskets and Locktite as well as the tools needed. Nothing else to buy. I used the 31N Andrews cams as I was looking for as close to my CVO 253 cams as I could find. Everything worked out fine. As someone else said, arranging and working through the service manual(s) was a little difficult, but some study will take you right through the project with no problems. And you will learn a bunch about how your Harley works, including the oil flow path. I worried unnecessarily about timing. But it was a piece of cake by following the instructions, as well as the additional notes John provided. You may not save much doing it yourself, but you will learn a great deal and be sure of what you are getting for your money. Email John and he will send you a current price list for your Harley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the possibility of going gear drives? IF you are Not keeping the bike if Might be cheaper in a long run.
The 02 bikes had a good straight crank in most of them.Run out under .002, Mine was .001.... I did build that into Hot 2000 TC way back and loved the gear drives..

Just a thought.

signed....BUBBIE

Are most of the 02 bikes that straight? The reason I ask is I plan on doing an upgrade on mine this winter and can't decide between the gear drive or SE hydraulic tensioners. I don't have the tools to measure runout. Is it worth the risk to install the gear drives without measuring first? Otherwise what do I need to measure runout. I know I need a dial indicator but don't understand how to secure it onto the motor while measuring. Is there a special mount?
WAP.gif

Are most of the 02 bikes that straight? The reason I ask is I plan on doing an upgrade on mine this winter and can't decide between the gear drive or SE hydraulic tensioners. I don't have the tools to measure runout. Is it worth the risk to install the gear drives without measuring first? Otherwise what do I need to measure runout. I know I need a dial indicator but don't understand how to secure it onto the motor while measuring. Is there a special mount?
WAP.gif

I would not recommend installing gear drives without measuring run out. You could cause further damage. There are lots of ways to mount a dial indicator but the easiest would be a magnetic base. Usually you can find a kit of sorts that will provide enough it to mount your dial indicator.

Amazon.com: Fowler Magnetic Base and Black Face Indicator - FOW72-520-199: Home Improvement

Not suggesting this one but, it gives you an idea.

Bodeen

I would not recommend installing gear drives without measuring run out. You could cause further damage. There are lots of ways to mount a dial indicator but the easiest would be a magnetic base. Usually you can find a kit of sorts that will provide enough it to mount your dial indicator.

Bodeen

I'm really not trying to hijack this thread. I know I probably should have started another one, but I have just one more question on this topic. First of all thanks Bodeen for the link. I didnt realize the indicators were that inexpensive. I figured they would cost a couple hundred bucks. Now I will certainly measure the run out regardless of which modification I go with. My question is if I measure run out and it is only .001 out and decide to install gear drives can the crank then become more out of tolerance as the motor wears and create a problem. Does crank run out relate directly to engine wear? I would hate to be in tolerance when I install gear drives and then have the crank begin to drift out of tolerance as the engine wears. My goal here is reliability above all else. I really dont care about high performance. Thanks again and I'm sorry for jumping in on this thread.

USUALLY crank runout ON the older TC design will stay where it is... BUT on these New TC (96" and bigger) It is a Dice Game,,,,, any thing can and Has happened from what I have read on-line.

EVEN If your bike is up to 2.5 out,,,, I think it is a good candidate for Gear Drives.... I had a Hot 2000 FXDS, 88 to 95" and lots of other stuff to make power and NO Problems with the crank.

NOW i am LEARY on this 09 for any BIG modifications..:22:

A LOT of the problem IS In the Way It is Driven....

signed....BUBBIE

Back