free website stats program CAM Tensioner question | Harley Davidson Forums

CAM Tensioner question

shaker

I hate to ask this - I've gone through tons of archived stuff, but would appreciate a current opinion. I have a 2002 FLHRCI with 20K, and I like to deal with the cam tensioner issue, or at least think so, since I bought the bike used. My plan is to stick with Harley parts - this isn't going to be my last bike, so my thought is that by staying 'Harley' it may be an easier sell down the road. I was told from a dealer that installing a 25284-11 kit (with Torrington bearings) would be $1300,00, and throwing a SE 203 CAM at it would be close to $1800.00. The SE 203 cam was recommended because I have fuel injection. Installation time was estimated at 5 1/2 hours. The time checks out with what I've researched, costs may be questionable, While I'd like to do this myself, I'm not a wrench, and considering past experiences, I'd not attempt this without support. So, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I changed mine in may not that bad of a job I got all of my stuff from John Wadsworth at Herco it come as a complete kit including Cams with tools needed it was just under $1200.It took me about 8 hours total but i also changed the tappet cover gasket.Also the kit come with screaming Eagle 2 piece push-rods

Just finished doing my 2005 RK Custom with the Herco Kit and 21N Andrews cams. Pretty much ditto what Big Bubba said.

Make sure you have the factory shop manual for your model and the appropriate sections from the late model manual. Life will be easier.

Did mine aout two years ago. TQ did a fantastic writeup of this procedure that I used when doing mine. As for cost, if memory serves it was about $800 for parts and about $200 for tooling, the latter which I sold on Ebay to recoup some of my costs. I used a set of Andrews 26N cams which was part of the parts total. Take a loof at the write up and see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. It will save you some $$

Thanks for the replies - I may consider doing this myself. I have the HD bike manual and looked over TQ's write up (good stuff). Unfortunately, what works well in my head doesn't always carry over to the real world.

Thanks for the replies - I may consider doing this myself. I have the HD bike manual and looked over TQ's write up (good stuff). Unfortunately, what works well in my head doesn't always carry over to the real world.

The wrenching is easy. Figureing out how the factory manual is organized is tougher. If you work carefully and take the time to make sure that you understand what the manual calls for; you shouldn't have a problem.

I do most of my own work on my 02 FLHTC with 80K miles, but there was no way I could have tackled the cam shaft thing with new Torrington bearings and new tensioner shoes. My friend did it for me with me providing moral support, and he had numerous special tools to do the job. Just a thought!

Have you checked the possibility of going gear drives? IF you are Not keeping the bike if Might be cheaper in a long run.
The 02 bikes had a good straight crank in most of them.Run out under .002, Mine was .001.... I did build that into Hot 2000 TC way back and loved the gear drives..

Just a thought.

signed....BUBBIE

Back