free website stats program cam performance | Harley Davidson Forums

cam performance

traveller

hey brothers, I was wondering if anyone has installed a S&S Cycle 570GE Easy Start Gear Drive Camshaft Kit in their bike. was it much improvement over stock. what was your overall opinion, thank a lot.

Problem I sorta see with the Easy Start cams is, how will you do a compression if you need to? JMHO.:D

hey brothers, I was wondering if anyone has installed a S&S Cycle 570GE Easy Start Gear Drive Camshaft Kit in their bike. was it much improvement over stock. what was your overall opinion, thank a lot.

I put one my 09 streetglide last winter . Yes it does get up go better when the rpms are round 3k. But also put on a fuel tuner too. As for starting better Yes . It does start quicker. Now would I do it again NO.
Fuel mileage went from around 46 mpg to 38. Use to get about 225 miles out of 5 gallons of fuel Now the best I can do is about 180 if I'm lucky . Disconnected the fuel tuner and it didn't make much difference

Depending on model year, which you fail to mention, the 570 cams may not even be compatible with your bike. However, the 570 cams need more than stock compression which is why mrkihn doesn't see any gain until rpm are up to 3000. Depending on your modele year, there are much better cam choices for a cam only upgrade to a stock or Stage I motor.
WAP.gif

sorry for the lack of info, My ride is a 03 FLSTS.milled the heads,free flow exhaust,carb rejetted and plastic slide drilled,screaming eagle ignition, crane 316-3 cams. it does well but just like the army says, be the best you can be, with the milling the compression is 9.9. so you think its worth it.

sorry for the lack of info, My ride is a 03 FLSTS.milled the heads,free flow exhaust,carb rejetted and plastic slide drilled,screaming eagle ignition, crane 316-3 cams. it does well but just like the army says, be the best you can be, with the milling the compression is 9.9. so you think its worth it.

Don't know; would need more details.

IIRC, that Crane cam has a lift of .505" which can be accomodated by the '04valve springs which will not accomodate the .570" lift of the 570 cams unless the springs were changed. You need to check that first.

Also would need to know chamber volume, head gasket thickness, 88" or 95" and pistons to properly calculate CCP and corrected CR. Offhand, it would appear that the Andrews 37 would be a direct bolt in and worth the change but not the 570.

I wouldn't do anything until I had confirmed all of the above. JMHO.

Thanks dolt, my head gasket is .030 with stock pistons in an 88b motor. I really like the 316 cam but I want to go gear drive. I can mill another .020 from the head and was planning to do so if I put this cam in and change the valve springs.

Thanks dolt, my head gasket is .030 with stock pistons in an 88b motor. I really like the 316 cam but I want to go gear drive. I can mill another .020 from the head and was planning to do so if I put this cam in and change the valve springs.

You previously stated that the static CR is 9.9; don't see it. My calculator shows that with an 88" motor, stock heads with stock flat top pistons, the chambers would have to be less than 76cc; that would require .070" cut from the head. At that point, intake manifold fitment would be an issue. Do you know how much has been milled from the head already?

You need accurate data to plan your build. The 570 cams, IMHO, are not an option unless you go to 95" or change pistons to a domed piston. With the small bore of the 88" motor, getting the compression up where it needs to be is a challenge.

You would be better off with a cam like the Andrews 37, SE204; and there are others.

Just adding here.....?????

Would not a ss 551 do the job without any bore to 95"...

Just bolting in a cam like this might do ALL what you want out of the motor.

I know the Intake EARLY close is where I'd look for the Least$$$ Early power to com'on.

A full build CAN be done in spurts but PLANNING a total build and yet doing parts at a time until finished take some Thought.

Higher intake closing Cams need to have all work done USUALLY up front, unless you want a Slug for the slow speed area.

Lower intake cams can allow different avenues to complete the build further down the road...

THEN you might be happy with JUST the early close cams.

signed....BUBBIE

Back