free website stats program Cam chain tensioner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioner

You don't have to do the cam tension conversion. you can check and replace the tensioners with the OEM tensioner and save a bunch of money. Not all the engines will need tensioners with that mileage.
Ken

Right, and if you are gonna trade the bike soon anyway, probably not worth the expense to you to up-grade to the roller-chain configuration or the gear drive. You will not get the money you spend to do the up-grade out of the bike.

TQ

My bike and TQ's bike are keepers so we didn't mind spending the money, and we both did our own installs. Chances are your bike won't even need tensioners
Ken

I bet if someone was looking at a used bike at that dealership that had 18,000 miles on it, they'd have said "tensioners don't need to be changed until (insert high mileage number here) and it costs (insert low dollar number here)".
I would not do business with that dealer at all. :(

Thanks for the response. It all looks like variations on a theme to me. My point was more aimed at the overall cost the OP quoted.

Granted, I had some other things done, but my shop offers deals on winter work to get revenue into the service department.

Even at the gym the Harley guys have discussed the various attributes of "chain vs gear driven" upgrade kits. However, I never heard of this two thousand dollar figure.

Back