free website stats program Cam chain tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioner

Ok, so I take my W.G. into the dealer to see what they will give me against a 2012 W.G. I tell them it has 18,000 miles (which I consider just broken in) and they tell me it's ready for new cam chain tensioner. I say hmm, no big deal right. "WRONG" they inform me it's a 2000.00 dollar fix and if I wait my engine will self distruct. They tell me this is standard for the duel cam 99 thru 06. I say "WHAT". Would Harley make such a blatent mistake. Are these folks trying to get over on me or is this for real?

Ok, so I take my W.G. into the dealer to see what they will give me against a 2012 W.G. I tell them it has 18,000 miles (which I consider just broken in) and they tell me it's ready for new cam chain tensioner. I say hmm, no big deal right. "WRONG" they inform me it's a 2000.00 dollar fix and if I wait my engine will self distruct. They tell me this is standard for the duel cam 99 thru 06. I say "WHAT". Would Harley make such a blatent mistake. Are these folks trying to get over on me or is this for real?

Where in the world do the get $2,000 out of a 3 hour job and less than $200.00 in parts? Take you bike and run from them. Anyway I wouldn't worry about the tensioners until about 25/30k. Cut open an oil filter and see if you find any orange particulates in the filter. That would be a tell tale sign the shoes were wearing. Anyway, what ever you do do it with another dealer!!

I ride with a guy who has an 01 soft tail. He but 60,000 on it before replacing the cam. It had the original tensioner. Is this only Dyna's. It just seems unbelievable to have to tear into a moter that soon, even at 30,000.

I ride with a guy who has an 01 soft tail. He but 60,000 on it before replacing the cam. It had the original tensioner. Is this only Dyna's. It just seems unbelievable to have to tear into a moter that soon, even at 30,000.

The shoes have such a bad rep that it don't hurt to open the cam chest and take a look. You can see the outboard one easy but will need a dental mirror to see the inboard.

Many articles here in the forum about the tenrioners. TQ did a great job outlining the process and I used it as a reference when I did my tenrioners a while back. Best bet is to pull the nose cone and have a look see.....

I did my tensioners myself in the spring. Upgraded to the new hydraulic ones at about 25K. But if I were you and you're going to trade it in, tell the dealer you already changed them out. Turnabout is fair play. :D
2 grand seems way high for that job. I did new cams, new plate, new high volume oil pump, new adjustable push rods, inner bearings, everything for about $1,200 in parts and tools.

Have to agree with others here, run from that dealer, I had to replace tensioners at 49k on my bike, went with the high volume oil pump, timken bearings and front and rear tensioners don't recall exactly how much but it was well under $1000.00

I would try to sell the bike on Craigslist or Backpage, beware of the cooks, but if you price it right it should sell.

Then, go to a dealer that wants your business, not these yahoos and buy the bike you want.

You don't have to do the cam tension conversion. you can check and replace the tensioners with the OEM tensioner and save a bunch of money. Not all the engines will need tensioners with that mileage.
Ken

Back