free website stats program Cam chain tensioner shoes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioner shoes

Hey just wondering about the bearing pullers. Are there any way to get these inner and outer cam shaft bearings out with spending a fortune on the pullers? I have an 2004 ultra with the big bore kit installed new when i purchased in 04. I have 75,000 and the oil pressure started bouncing around. Thanks to this web site pretty sure of whats wrong. Just tackled the stator, wasn't bad at all thanks to this website! any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
johnnyreb, spend the money for the tool's, the case has a thin lip that the inner cam bearings press up against, if you chip that lip trying to get it out thats a case and 3 tons more work & money. The outer cam bearings just press out of the cam plate using a press. Pressing the inner bearing back in you want them to go in stright with out shaving any thing off the side walls and to proper depth.

bill-h, if your wife's bike is stock you will save your self a lot of work if you cut the stock push rods out and go back up with adjustable, saves tearing the top end down.

I have never replaced those exact bearings before but I have replaced similar caged needle bearings like them. Taking them out is 1 thing. Getting the new ones installed is another. The cage or shell is very fragile and easily distorts. You can't hammer or bang on them at all. They need to be pressed in with a smooth straight (perpendicular) motion. Hard to do with common hand tools.

I made a oval washer set-up that did MY job on 2000 dyna motor A LONG TIME AGO..... it worked only AFTER the WRONG WAY was tried.

I too started out by NOT WANTING TO SPEND THE $$$ for the RIGHT TOOL...

I first tried to bend and pry out the cages (i said a long time ago) when the INA's rollers came loose of their cage DROPPING a few INTO BEHIND THE AREA INTO THE CRANK.../........BUGGERS!!!!!

NOW THAT WASN'T COOL AT ALL!!!

the right TOOL FOR THE JOB.............

live and learn

signed....BUBBIE

I'm a gear head and work on Harley's on the side and have purchased a bunch of tools over the internet and at motorcycle shops going out of business (there is a bunch going out) but if you want to save a bundle on tools and he makes them to specs like jims go to George's Garage. When I found him.....I was dancing a jig; his prices are awesome and offers life time on the tools. With the right tools you can do anything!

Did the cam chain tensioner upgrade on my '99 Ultra about year and change ago. Like many, when I saw the price of some of the tools required, it gave me pause. Thank god I made the decision to do the job and do it right. Georges garage has a lot of tools that I found to be reasonably priced. If you research the forum, TQ did a great work up on the whole process. It is definitely worth looking at. Recommendations of upgrading the inner cam bearings to the Torrington units are really sound advice. The old INA's are not what you want to leave in there. When I did the roller chain conversion, I upgraded the cams at the same time, something you might consider. In short, resist the urge to skimp. While the inner bearing puller/installer is one of those tools most of us will use once in our lifetime, it insures that the bearings are removed without all the needles falling into the case, and also that the new bearings are installed with the proper backset. When I was done, I sold all of the tools on Ebay for about 70% of what I paid for them.

Back