free website stats program Cam chain rattle? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain rattle?

TQuentin1; The inner cam bearings on my engine are caged needles. If that is what you are calling torrington bearings, that is what I have. One outer bearing is a caged roller and the other is a ball bearing-----jack

Look closely at the images Glider posted for you. You can see how many more rollers the Torrington have, so better (lower) loading.

If you are thinking about new chains, you might want to consider the roller chain up-grade. Replaces the spring loaded tensioners with hydraulic, new plate, new pump, new roller chains and you will need new cam shafts, so you can pick the type of cams you want. If interested, pm me and I will send you the info on where I bought my kit. Of course you can wait until next week and you should see my novella on my project!! :D

TQ

Ok I have the torrington bearings but when I pull it back down to replace the chains, I am going to replace all the bearings just to make sure.. It almost sounds like a heat shield type rattle but it is coming from under the cover, strange----jack--- btw, great shots of the different bearings, thanks

Update; I am ashamed to admit that I screwed up and forgot to put the outside chain guide back in when I re-installed the tensioners. You were right glider, the lifters were the problem. I was taking it back apart to replace the chains and bearings when I saw that the guide was missing, found it on the desk and installed it. Put it back together and all is quiet now. I guess I'm getting old because I don't usually make dumb mistakes like that.-----jack thanks for all the guidance guys, it is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Back