free website stats program BRAND Of Fuel Poll | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

BRAND Of Fuel Poll

BRAND Of Fuel Poll

• Total voters
I usually run Speedway or Marathon gas depending on who's cheaper. I have been using these two brands for as long as I have been driving since they are the most common where I live.

Doesn't really mater what brand i use as i live in Scotland only 1 refinery so all the petrol in the country comes from that 1 refinery
any special brand additives are added at the petrol station
petrol stations around here are esso or gleaner got to go a long way to find bp or shell

Brian

Chevron is common around here so that's what I use. When I lived in the east I always used Mobil or Sunoco.

Usually buy Chevron or Union 76 in town about two miles from my house. Otherwise, drive about 17 miles to a Chevron, Union 76, or a Shell.

My neighbor and I put 91 octane into our 09 Road Glides until he had the big bore kit installed about a month after we bought the bikes. The old piston heads were covered in unburned carbon. That is when we switched to 89 octane, which seems to work just fine and might produce less carbon on the piston heads.

You'll find that carbon will be present on any pistons in these engines regardless of the fuel grade used.

OK everyone. Call me crazy and old but I can taste the difference in beer, whiskey, coffee and soda pop. But, for the life of me I can not distinguish any difference in brands of gasoline. If there is a difference, I believe it to be so insignificant that I am not aware of it. My main concern when filling up any vehicle is to use a station that pumps alot of gasoline because I want fresh, good gas without any "stuff" in it. I try to fuel up at Murphy's (Walmart) because they are plentiful across the country, sell a boatload of fuel and usually among the lowest price in each market. I burn 87 octane and have yet to experience any pinging, even in 100 degree weather. I realize others seem to have problems with anything but 91+ octane but I have none. The fact that I seldom, if ever ride in stop and go traffic probably saves me here. The new fuel injected bikes will adjust the spark somewhat.

Last edited:
Yes , as you say the ION sensing will adjust the spark (retarding it) when using a lower octane fuel but in the long run the retarding of the spark will lower the power the engine has and the MPG will be lower too so where is the savings?

I am looking at the local stations and I can't find one that is ethonol free. I usually try to find a shell station

Well, here in Italy the situation is different.
We have most of the brands listed plus AGIP and IP, Italian brands, and others Q8, Erg, etc.

What amazes me is that it seems that in US you have "true" different gas brands...
Here it's all fake (and I presume in most Countries too...)

Gas is produced by very few companies, that don't sell to the final user (in Italy there are many refineries).
Gas brands buy gas from these FEW companies and RESELL it at the pump with their brand, advertising that is better than competitors'.

But the gas sold at pumps of all different brands is basically... THE SAME!!!

What's the difference between the different brands then??

Price, fidelity cards, the look of the pump station...

You can find some cheaper brands but only outside cities, with no advertising and very simple service: the gas is the SAME than the big brands (but to fill the tank if you live in the city is expensive because of the distance...) !

In Italy you have two types of fuel: gas and diesel (plus methane, few, and liquid gas)

The gas is ONLY premium unleaded.

Some brands have some more expensive type (i.e. SHELL V-Power) but because of the bad attitude of Italian people (always frauding if possible) I could swear that they serve you a blend of premium and special gas... if you're lucky! :s (as a matter of fact very few people here buy this gas)

Thus, when I need fuel I go to the best compromise of price/distance, but the brand doesn't make any difference.

BTW this argument makes me so upset because I know we are cheated by both the companies (always ready to increase immediately the price when the oil goes up, but always delaying the rebates) and the pumps (they "overclock" the pump to provide you less fuel than you paid and, especially when the driver is a woman, they try to steal some gas or say another price instead of that owed and other similar tricks...).

Ciao
Ugo

P.S. I'm Italian, then I assume all the responsibilities to talk about "bad attitudes" of Italian people: I know them very well and I live here (many times, and recently even more often, I regret it... :( )

Back