free website stats program brake issue | Harley Davidson Forums

brake issue

Has anyone ever had a problem with the front brake serging are jumping (don't quite know how to discribe it) when you stop at low speeds? Is this a wraped rotor ar what? And how did you fix it?

My limited brakes started chattering at about 12000 miles - checked rotor run-out. .011 on right front, .004 left front. Took to dealer - they replaced right front rotor under warranty. New rotor is .002. Fixed the problem.

One more vote for rotor replacement. I had a very similar problem a few years ago and a new rotor solved it.

My limited brakes started chattering at about 12000 miles - checked rotor run-out. .011 on right front, .004 left front. Took to dealer - they replaced right front rotor under warranty. New rotor is .002. Fixed the problem.

Hey gents, I have a similar problem with my Ultra. It isn't bad, but I have to make sure that the last few feet of a stop that there is no front brake use. No problem noticed at higer speed during braking. Doesn't the concept of "floating" rotors eliminate some of the runout that naturally occurs due to heating and cooling? :34:

I had this same "surging" on my 2008 Road King. The dealer replaced both front rotors under warranty which corrected the problem. I am now beginning to have the problem again. The bike only has 16,000 miles on it. I don't think I should have to put a new set of rotors on each year.

I haven't checked the runout on these rotors yet but if I have to replace them, I'm going to try floating rotors and Lyndall pads.

In the UK any warping of the brake rotor would fail the mot test and their brake testing equipment will pick up warp when you cant feel it
But for safety reasons id change the rotor anyway

Brian

Back