free website stats program brake issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

brake issue

Check the runout on the rotors with a dial indicator and it will tell you if/how much it is warped.

Hey gents, I have a similar problem with my Ultra. It isn't bad, but I have to make sure that the last few feet of a stop that there is no front brake use. No problem noticed at higer speed during braking. Doesn't the concept of "floating" rotors eliminate some of the runout that naturally occurs due to heating and cooling? :34:
I put 10 button floating rotors on my 05 UC when new - 90000 miles with no problems. Stock solid rotors on 94 UC - 200000 miles - no problem, except wear. Just checked the rear rotor on my Limited - chatters a bit when warm. .008 runout when warm (.005 cold). Several of my riding partners with these one button floaters have similar problems. Even though still under warranty, I believe I'll start searching for some good floaters to install. It seems that the floaters are more forgiving.

I had rear rotor problem with a 02 Superglide with too much runout, am having the same problem with my 07 Streetbob, back to the dealer for a new one. I will check the runout first with my own gauge to verify what they find. I have 2 sets of run out gauges and will use them both to get an accurate reading, Jack

Floating rotors ARE more forgiving because the multiple button attachment points allow a little side by side movement and make the single action caliper not have to move back and forth on the piviot pin so the pulsations will be much less...that distinctive buzz sound and feel is that compensation taking place at those contact buttons. Love that sound when I had them on my metric Sportbike...which came STANDARD with them...as well as an oil cooler (new HDs for 2010 are coming out with them...YAY!) and other performance bits. Racing heritage of the HD is deep, but trickle down is more cost issue than marketing strategy...that is why it is taking so long to come down to an already premium priced machine.

Back