free website stats program bolt locked at the botom of the front fork | Harley Davidson Forums

bolt locked at the botom of the front fork

fabrozor

Hi,

I have a "progressive suspension monotube fork cartridge kit" on a 2005 FLHTI.

I first installed it with 2 spacers on each tube as recommended by the "progressive suspension". I also added one or two drops of red locktite on the bolt which goes at the botom of the fork as recommanded in the installation manual.

After miles and miles of riding i want to remove 1 of the 2 spacers from each fork to let only only one spacer in place in each fork.

Now i want to desassembly and the bolt of the left fork refuses to unscrew.
The assembly is rotating inside the fork while i rotate the bolt.
I tried to apply some pressure with my body on the whole fork while i was trying to unscrew the bolt, but without succeeding in blocking the internal parts in place. The parts continued to rotate with the bolt.

Do you have some advice to help me ?
Thank you for your replies.

I am not familiar with the specifics of the progressive units, but a couple of thought if they are applicable. One, leave the fork spring in with the cap in place to help provide some pressure to resist rotation. Second, use pneumatic impact wrench to loosen the offending bolt. If you use an impact, make sure the correctly sized Allen driver is in good condition and fully engaged before you pull the trigger. Good luck.

Red loctite often requires heat and impact tools to get it to release
I would try a long stem allen key on an impact driver and that should do it or perhaps a good bit of heat on the bolt then the impact driver
For something like this i would use an air impact driver

Brian

As i have either impact nor heat, i think i'll bring the fork to the harley shop.
Thank you.

Using a heat gun, apply heat to the bolt for a few minutes and attempt to loosen as needed. Go in both directions to get started. If it starts a little bit apply more heat, this will soften up the Loctite enough to unbolt you fork tube. Do the best ya can to clean up the existing threads and should be good to go.

Fabrozor; The bolt in question is a hex head metric size. Save your self some driving and maybe money, and stop at a local car repair shop. A smile and a request for someone to help with an impact wrench will probably get it done quickly. Especially if you stop at a shop with a motorcycle parked out front.
:)

The allen should be a 6mm. I agree with everyone's idea of the impact and heat if necessary.
tourbox

Hi,

I have a "progressive suspension monotube fork cartridge kit" on a 2005 FLHTI.

I first installed it with 2 spacers on each tube as recommended by the "progressive suspension". I also added one or two drops of red locktite on the bolt which goes at the botom of the fork as recommanded in the installation manual.

After miles and miles of riding i want to remove 1 of the 2 spacers from each fork to let only only one spacer in place in each fork.

Now i want to desassembly and the bolt of the left fork refuses to unscrew.
The assembly is rotating inside the fork while i rotate the bolt.
I tried to apply some pressure with my body on the whole fork while i was trying to unscrew the bolt, but without succeeding in blocking the internal parts in place. The parts continued to rotate with the bolt.

Do you have some advice to help me ?

I read all the replies looking for a good solution...I sure would be reluctant to use impact there...but ??? I am not sure what you mean by the whole assembly spinning inside...Hope you get it figured out and hope you post the solution....good luck

When I installed my cartridges, I had an issue with not being able to get the 6mm allen tight enough without the whole cartridge spinning. A call to Progressives tech line enlightened me to lose the torque wrench and use the impact. worked like a charm and that was straight form Progressive's Tech line (Their customer service was great too)

Same problem once. Tried everything. Then, just like a derby cover sometimes, I drilled the head off the bolt, pulled it apart and remainder of the bolt came out with just my fingers. Piece of cake! Could not believe how quick and easy it was. Only the cost of a new bolt to fix!

Back