free website stats program bolt locked at the botom of the front fork | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bolt locked at the botom of the front fork

The impact is the only way to go when trying to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fork to disassemble. You'll take forever trying it otherwise IF you get it at all.

I agree that the impact is your only hope of getting the bolt out. If this fails you will have to drill the head off and remove the remaining part of the bolt once you have it out of the down tube. I would be careful with heat as the monotube is a sealed system and heat may adversely affect the internals.

In my experience, the use of an impact is more for the SPEED of the tool overcoming inertia (?) to prevent the cartridge from turning. MY pneumatic impact seldom even hammers when doing the forks, just ziiiip, and it's loose.
I've used my air powered butterfly wrench with just as good of results.

Hi guys !

I'm impressed by the number of answers i get from you.

I followed your recommandations.

I went to the nearest bike mechanic shop (you know, the kind where you can change oil, tires, without a rendez-vous).
The guy used a shock pneumatic/air pistol and the 6mm allen bolt unscrewed immediatly effortless.
I gave 5 euros to the guys with a big "thank you".

Then i could remove 1 (of the 2) spacers in each of my Progressiv Suspension monotube cartridge kit.

I reassembled the fork and the feeling is correct now (it was too stiff with 2 spacers, and i'm a heavy guy).

Thank again for you precious help guys and stay safe on the road.
God bless.

Good to know that you have got it done local garages whether bike or car can have tools and knowledge of how to use them to do many tasks
Over the years i have accumulated a lot of tools but there is always something i do not have the correct tool for

Brian

Back