free website stats program Blue Ridge Parkway Advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue Ridge Parkway Advice

Just got back from Maggie Valley Memorial Day weekend. Took four days & rode parts of the BRP, the dragon, Hellbender & the Cherohala Skyway. What a ride is all I can say.....
Abosolutley beautiful country. You will find your self stopping often to take in the views.
Have fun & ride safe

Some buddies and I rode it 2 years ago. Left Front Royal VA early in the AM and stopped at Fancy Gap for the night then on to Cherokee NC 469 miles of pure joy. So yes 2 days is easy riding.

Some buddies and I rode it 2 years ago. Left Front Royal VA early in the AM and stopped at Fancy Gap for the night then on to Cherokee NC 469 miles of pure joy. So yes 2 days is easy riding.

Agreed - but the key word there is "riding." If you just want to ride it and enjoy the sights, curves, and smells then it's a pretty easy 2 day trip. If you're the type who enjoys stopping for lots of pictures, reading all the exhibits, and exploring every old country store you pass, there's no way you will complete it in 2 days.

It depends on YOUR style....
I just returned from a 7 day trip with friends...
Day 1 ride up to Lyndhurst VA (got caught in a storm)
Day 2 Skyline drive, and Luray Caverns (wife wanted to, so we went)
Day 3 From MP 0 to Marby Mill (caught in storm the last 10 miles)
Day 4 Marby to Spruce Pine
Day 5 Spruce Pine to Cherokee (Bryson City, actually) (caught in storm, the last 50 miles)
Day 6 Retraced the final 50 miles, took more photos etc, went to Cherokee, and the museum. (we've done the dragon, nantahala, cherahola,foothills to death.... )
Day 7 returned to Raleigh.

Could we have done more riding each day? sure.... but we could have stopped more, as well....

Our "goal" was to have fun, on vacation. 5 riders, we took turns leading for one hour, we stopped where and when the leader stopped... I took over 400 photos, as did two others.... but that was OUR trip...

You could possibly do the entire BRP in one day..... but that's sun up to sundown and stopping only for gas.... assumming you catch all the repair crews at the right time...
Two days is pretty easy too..... but again long days, and few stops...
Three days? we started around 9 AM, and were parked for the night by 6 PM, with meals, and stops....I think the next time it'll be south to north.... and four days

My advice is... The Blue ridge is more of a passenger pleasure. The driver needs to KEEP your eyes on the road, except where you are going straight for some distance... other wise you may find yourself up an unsanitary tributary without means of propulsion... :s

It seems that most ride the BRP north to south, I'm planning a trip in August and thinking of going South to North, is there an advantage, one over the other?

None that I can think of.

I did it N to S since I live outside Atlanta. I took one day to ride the interstate as far north as I could (turned out to be Lexington, VA - about an hour from the Waynesville entrance to the north end) and then the rest of the trip I could go at a leisurely pace and still know I was getting closer to home with each passing mile.

BRP is great trip. Even to retrip :D . Stop in at Laurel Springs, Nc and have a cold one at Stations Inn, real nice place and people. :cheers

It seems that most ride the BRP north to south, I'm planning a trip in August and thinking of going South to North, is there an advantage, one over the other?

North half more gentle sweepers.... South half more twisties...
South half has more tunnels.... they aren't a lot of fun, after you've been riding in the sun.... with shades on...

I think the north to south bias is more a population thing.

Next time... we're heading to bryson City first, ride Swain/Graham county a day, then ease NORTH, same road.... but each time it's just a bit different

Doc, I would go with those who recommended slow and easy. I was on the PW in May. It was rainy and foggy. Hard to see the vistas in many places. You WILL want to stop and check the overlooks. The views are breath-taking.

If you only have 2 days, go, and be sure to enjoy the sights. When the 2 days are up, note your mile marker and resume your trip when you can.

Fred

Back