free website stats program Blue Ridge Parkway Advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue Ridge Parkway Advice

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I know tons of you have done the BRP so I'm looking for some sage advice, even though I think I know which way the answers will lean.

Background first. I've got 2 weeks of vacation this month. I'm spending the first week with the wife and girls on Hilton Head Island and having some real nice family time. Next week, I've already gotten the green light from my lovely wife (you never know when she might walk in and read over my shoulder) to disappear for a few days on a motorcycle trip. Maysflyboy was going to join me but he decided it was more important to take his wife and girls to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. Some friend, eh? :p

I was waiting to decide if I wanted to ride the Natchez Trace or the BRP and the more I check the weather, the more it's favoring the BRP ride.

Now for my question. Is it possible to ride the BRP end to end in 2 days or are all the scenic pulloffs simply too tempting? I really don't have the time to spend 3 or 4 days leisurely riding it but is it possible to ride it in 2 days and still enjoy it? It's just one of those things I'm really wanting to check off my bucket list but I don't want to look back and feel like I rushed it and have to go back and do it again. Or do you folks that have done it multiple times STILL enjoy it every time?

What's everyone think?

i just got back from riding it from Waynesboro to Cherokee. 469 miles.
Left Monday morning and finished Thursday afternoon.
during the week it was like i had the BRP to myself. Hours went by without seeing another vehicle. It was a perfect ride and like you it was on my bucket list. You could do it in a couple of days, you are correct though.. the pull offs are too tempting.. take three days and you should easily do it and still stop to enjoy the views. Enjoy it!!! Ken

You could ride the BRP many times and still have things you want to see the next time. Take your time and enjoy the ride, you will want to pick up where you left off. Beautiful scenery, great towns nearby and friendly people.

I rode the Skyline Drive,BRP and down to the Smokies,over to the east coast then up to Virginia and back to Ohio but I had about a week. I didn't really pull over too often but I wish I had. Watch your speed. Alot of wildlife around there. If I remember right the speed was about 40mph. Have fun!!

You could ride the BRP many times and still have things you want to see the next time. Take your time and enjoy the ride, you will want to pick up where you left off. Beautiful scenery, great towns nearby and friendly people.

That's kind of what I'm thinking right now. Take my time, stop for pictures, don't ride from sunup to sunset, and just ride what I can this time.

BRP, one of the best rides I've ever taken. I agree, leave out Skyline Drive and skip hitting the Tail of the Dragon and you can ride it in an enjoyable two days.

I just got done doing the BRP , I would get breakfast & gas up and hit the parkway around 10am and ride to 7:30 - 8:00pm and I had time to stop and take pics , I have a tread in the road trip section , I would high ball it on the x-press way to the north and then head south that way when you are done with the parkway you are closer to home . I would stop at motels that had a breakfast and get some fruit for the saddle bags and then hit a sit down place for a real breakfast , I carried a cooler and had water tea and soda in it & with the 6 gallon gas tank I could do 240 miles or more without a fill so once I got on the parkway I did'nt have to get off unless I wanted too . The dragon is open from the NC side but you can only do about 10 miles of it because of the rock slide . Enjoy your road trip !

I just got done doing the BRP , I would get breakfast & gas up and hit the parkway around 10am and ride to 7:30 - 8:00pm and I had time to stop and take pics , I have a tread in the road trip section , I would high ball it on the x-press way to the north and then head south that way when you are done with the parkway you are closer to home . I would stop at motels that had a breakfast and get some fruit for the saddle bags and then hit a sit down place for a real breakfast , I carried a cooler and had water tea and soda in it & with the 6 gallon gas tank I could do 240 miles or more without a fill so once I got on the parkway I did'nt have to get off unless I wanted too . The dragon is open from the NC side but you can only do about 10 miles of it because of the rock slide . Enjoy your road trip !

Thanks, great tips!

I've already done the Dragon so that's not even part of my agenda. I'll be making my decision later tonight or tomorrow so I'll let everyone know in case someone cares to join me or give me more specific advice.

I was kind of curious how long it took to ride the BRP. I have a more leisurely schedule and in two weeks from today I'll be on day two of my two-week trip....which happens to be heading from Cincy to Knoxville. So two weeks from tomorrow I'll be on Tail of the Dragon.

My first time on both. I (and my wife) are very excited!

Back