free website stats program Bike Runs Lousy For First Few Miles | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Runs Lousy For First Few Miles

lhgdale

Hello, this is my friends bike not mine but I'm trying to figure out a solution for him. Bike is a 07 road king with slip ons and a intake. Bike was bought used and may have cams in it. It has a nice lope when idling. Bike may have a Harley download since no tuner is present. This only happens the first few miles then stops and bike runs great. The bike will hesitate and sputter when taking off and feels like it is gonna die. The bike will run great until you let it cool down and then it will do this again. I've tried fuel injector cleaner and changed the plugs.
Thanks for any help...:D

I had a similar problem on my '03 EFI. Thought maybe it was either the Throttle Position Sensor, the Idle Air Control or the Temp Sensor. When I went to the dealer to pick up the parts, the guy at the service counter suggested opening the "Butterfly" in my throttle body and look at the horizontal shaft that holds it in place. The butterfly is attached by 2 screws. Look to see if the shaft is cracked at one of the screws. Sure enough, I got home and checked, the shaft was cracked. I would have never thought of checking that if he hadn't said something about it. Had to buy a whole new throttle body.

may have cams in it. It has a nice lope when idling. Bike may have a Harley download since no tuner is present.

You didn't say if the bike ran good at one time and this problem developed over time. Or has it been like this since he purchased it.

The bike was purchased used and you have no knowledge of what's even in it. If it does have an aggressive set of cams, it would not surprise me that the warm of enrichment map along with warm up IAC stepper map may need to be adjusted. 2007 have pretty good factory diagnostics. Perform a WOW test just to see if any DTC's happen to be logged. Just like on a carb engine,,, FI engines have maps for warm up choke (fuel enrichment) and warm up unattended RPM set points. He bought the bike used, who knows if the previous owner went in and already changed those maps for the worse?

If you knew what was in it, it would make fixing it so much easier. You said bike may have a factory download, but it may not. If the bike does have cams, something had to be done to the maps if no add on tuner is present. Person before him may have used a SEST to adjust the warm up maps. Unless your very lucky, I wouldn't just start changing parts.

Once again, did the bike run good at one time or has it been this way since day one when he purchased it.

By All Means..... Follow Hooples suggestions and reply here please...

IF it turns out to Just be a little Lean Even IF the HD Flash has been done they tend to still be Too Lean.....

Simply adding A TFI/Gen3 would make a big difference IF running Lean... Just being able to adjust the green pot (1) to smmmmmmoth out using a Little more fuel Would solve the runability problem when Cold....

HDT 50$ member discount from Dobecks and free shipping...Sweet....

Call Chris at Dobecks, he may suggest TFI for your bike.

406-388-2377
877-764-3337

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the replys! The guy who bought the bike is not very mechanically inclined and did not think to ask what had been done to the bike. He said the bike was running fine when purchased but started having this problem a few weeks later. The bike runs very good once down the road a few miles. I

Ummmm what is a WOW test? Sorry:newsmile026:

the wow test is a speedometer diagnostic will give you trouble codes the bike may have. I think the guys here have the instructions in the self help section.

Thanks, I will see him tomorrow and do this test.
WAP.gif

Follow the flow chart.

FYI: Minor point, re. pdf: The intro doesn’t say, but step 1 on top of Pg 2 does; kill switch must be in RUN position.
If not, the first test P (ECM) will blank out for a few seconds then display ‘no rSP’. Normal return is ‘nonE’ followed with Pn 34411-07 (as in case of 07 FLHR). Would think should be able to check it out on your bike. :)

Back