free website stats program Bike mounted Camera? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike mounted Camera?

wombat457

I am looking to buy one of those Adventure Camera's like those GoPro things BUT wont pay the ridiculous price for a gopro. Does anyone know of a decent alternative please?

Another option may be ebay or FB marketplace for a used GoPro. I actually got a Hero 8 at Best Buy a couple of years ago for a ridiculously cheap price. It was right when the Hero 9 was being released and they had a bunch of 8's on the shelf. I'm thinking they had it priced at $180-ish, and then I had a $50 credit for my 'I SPEND ENTIRELY TOO MUCH $$ AT BEST BUY' card. :D. I think the new ones were selling for about $400. I should have snatched more of those things. Now, if I could just remember to take the camera with me. :(

Thanks guys - I have found a few in Britain with good specs for under $150 (US) I'll keep looking though.

While we are on this, I assume you guys mount your cams on the handle bars, or do you? My wife "had" a great little camera (given to her by a British friend from Britain and no longer sold) which I mounted to my Crash Bar using gopro mounts. After about 3 mile the mount broke and farewell to the camera at 55 mph.

Thanks for the help guys and to let you know, I just ordered this from Amazon:

61NmDBBAAgL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The whole kit and caboodle was $120 (US) and it has very good reviews. Will be good enough for what I want to use it for :)

Sorry, quick question - where do you guys mount your camera's? Or, where is the best place to mount them for the video, AND security?

I have a Sony Action Cam that I would attach to whatever bike I was using.
My preferred mount was on the handlebars- except for my CBX where I would mount the camera on the nice round front indicator stalks; and on the mirror stalks on my fully faired Triumph T595.
Whenever I left the bike I’d undo the mount and just take the camera with me.
A 1 minute job to remove and replace. Most of that time was getting the aim right.( made easier by the fact it came with a wrist control complete with a small “live view” screen. Ala Dick Tracy)
Ideally, I would love to have those hard wired, tiny, and sneakily hidden front and back camera systems mounted on my bikes.
They operate the same as the ones in your cars. Hassle free and permanent.
But I can’t afford them.

I have found I’m unable to go for a ride without a camera- but as I don’t commute or run errands on bikes it’s not that big of an issue.

If possible ,mount it on the side, or top of your helmet. It will give you a more "lively" view ,when your on the road ,turning your head now and then .
It will give you more view , of the surroundings ,you pass. Ride safe anyway !!.

If possible ,mount it on the side, or top of your helmet. It will give you a more "lively" view ,when your on the road ,turning your head now and then .
It will give you more view , of the surroundings ,you pass. Ride safe anyway !!.

The reason I only mount my camera(s) on the ‘bars or other bits of the bike; and NOT on my helmet is because of Michael’s Schumacher’s dire skiing accident.
Apparently he hit a rock- and the camera projecting out hit first- before the helmet.
This localised the impact forces and focused them (the forces), instead of being dispersed around the helmet. And allowing the helmet to do the job it was designed for.
Read this somewhat sobering report-

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...accident.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2BRETdgl8szmfT6jVqVPq6

I have a gopro and have mounts for the helmet and was on the fairing for my previous ultra.
I made a safety strap to secure the camera in case I got unlucky.
Picture quality was great on the fairing, when on the bar there was a lot of vibration.
IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0742.JPG

Back