Bike blowing oil

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by GimmeFuel, Sep 10, 2011.

1. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

For a little while, I've occasionally noticed a very small amount of oil leaking out of the top of both rocker boxes. It's not even a weekly thing. Just once in a while. What do you guys think is going on? How alarmed/concerned should I be? Help needed.

2. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

??????? how many miles- highway / hard , any work done on it lately , one question -(gotta ask , dont like to, but,) has it been laid down/over????

3. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

About 24500. I've only had it since 18000. A good percentage of the miles I've put on it are interstate. Typically 30 minute trips but some are shorter about 20% of the time. I usually cruise in between 80 and 85 mph. I've been known to get on it before but not very often and not too hard. I always let it warm up fully and try to take it easy on it for the first five or so miles.

Only work done recently was changing the oil. I laid it down once but it was at a near dead stop and went down easy and with crash bars.

Any thoughts?

4. 202tango

202tango Member

my softail had a fine mist of oil right where the two covers fit together, I re torqued the rear bolts on the cover and have had no more oil.

5. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

How much torque did you use?

6. scottyguitar

scottyguitar Member

Only a guess but I would think that he used factory torque specs. Do you have a service manual? The specs are there. I don't have one for your model year, but maybe a kind soul could post the proper torque specs for the rocker boxes on your scoot.

7. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

Are the bolts on the top of the rocker box the rocker housing bolts or the rocker cover bolts?

8. 202tango

202tango Member

The top cover bolts; 15-18 foot pounds.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

While re torquing rocker bolts may slow it down some I would pull the covers and check them for war page. If you don't already have a factory manual get one, the rockers should be un bolted in a reverse torque:s

10. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

What is war page?