free website stats program big dog and bike | Harley Davidson Forums

big dog and bike

plow boy

Two or three weeks ago the wife and I hit a dog ,we were going about 45 mph but we took a good hit. He went for the front wheel and the crash bar caught him good and solid. Within a couple of days we had a flat tire, [not related to hitting dog] so the bike sat for a couple of weeks. While changing the tire this past Saturday I noticed a dent on the lift fork leg caused by the crash bar, and the right side where the dog hit was bent. As I was looking around I found the gusset, that the crash bar attaches to the frame neck, ripped on each side of the crash bar tab. I hope that someone can tell me that this is not the tab that totals a bike. If it is am I in for a hassle because of not reporting it sooner. I hope it is a minor thing, this bike runs too good and we have a lot more in this bike than we would get from the insurance.(2012 rk)

Two or three weeks ago the wife and I hit a dog ,we were going about 45 mph but we took a good hit. He went for the front wheel and the crash bar caught him good and solid. Within a couple of days we had a flat tire, [not related to hitting dog] so the bike sat for a couple of weeks. While changing the tire this past Saturday I noticed a dent on the lift fork leg caused by the crash bar, and the right side where the dog hit was bent. As I was looking around I found the gusset, that the crash bar attaches to the frame neck, ripped on each side of the crash bar tab. I hope that someone can tell me that this is not the tab that totals a bike. If it is am I in for a hassle because of not reporting it sooner. I hope it is a minor thing, this bike runs too good and we have a lot more in this bike than we would get from the insurance.(2012 rk)

Dunno what your insurance will say, I would have them meet you @ the dealer for an inspection JMO

I agree with Jack. The frame needs to be checked to make sure it is not damaged or bent. A hit that will break welds can do a lot of hidden damage.

Dunno what your insurance will say, I would have them meet you @ the dealer for an inspection JMO
Even after a couple of weeks you can still report it for your insurance co. They may not do a formal accident report but they will make a incident report that should satisfy your ins co.

If it is the tab at the top center, that bolts just above where the frame downtubes start. Yep, that the one that usually totals a bike because dealers won't weld on the frame, and R&R is $$$$$.
When I had my low speed tip over, mine ripped. I pounded it back flush, and had a welder draw a bead on it. Ground it down & painted it. I DID NOT want to total my bike that I'd only had for 9 days.

Sorry to hear about your bike but curious about how the dog is? Wondering how the owner is reacting to his/her being hit? Maybe this would help your insurance claim?

Real sorry about the dog, but I'm real glad you and your wife are OK. As for the bike I guess you could have the bracket welded back, but at the very least I would have someone check the frame for alignment. I would pay special attention to the neck and brackets and gussets under the bike. At 65-70mph your frame is not something you want to worry about.

I don't know about the dog or who owns him/she but I hope he is no longer chasing bikes.

I hope you don't think I was more concerned about the dog than the both of you being ok through this ordeal. I don't think animals should be loose to chase anything on wheels. I have had them come after me a few times but nothing as severe as what happened to you.
I was thinking in the back of my head that if you knew about the dog then maybe the owners could be held liable for the dogs actions and damage.

I was thinking in the back of my head that if you knew about the dog then maybe the owners could be held liable for the dogs actions and damage.
I don't know about your jurisdiction. If the damages are high, and you have problems getting your own insurance to pay, ImaRider may have a point. If dogs are not allowed to run loose by law, it might be possible that owners could be held liable for damages caused by loose dogs. The big "it depends" works here. There could be a variety of elements to satisfy. Most attorneys will give an initial consult for free or very low fee. I suggest that you could look in the direction of an attorney, if you need it. You may have what is called a valid "cause of action." An attorney in your jurisdiction would know. There is a national organization called "The Law Tigers" that are attorneys that ride, and represent "motorcyclists." Maybe you have an associated firm in your area.

I would definitely have your scooter checked out, before you trust it completely. We have enough to worry about, in those tight sweepers.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back