free website stats program Battery Tender..... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender.....

Very true on the battery. If a battery sits too long without any serious action, the plates sulfate and it looses the power then. Sometimes you can bring them back with a low/long charge like a trickle charger (bigger than the battery tender) but not higher than about 6-8 amps and let it bubble of 24 hours or so, It cooks the sulfate off the plates, just don't overheat the battery.

Thanks Glider,
I really appreciate your help on this. When I do check the regulator and the stator, does the battery have to have a full charge or does it not really matter due to you are checking it with the bike running?

Snow, no not yet. I rode to work this morning and it was 40 degrees. The only good thing about the cold, bike runs great. But not in the snow. Hopefully not for 4 to 6 more weeks.

6 months is a long time to expect a battery to hold a charge. Truth is if your buddies didn't run it long or fast enough, they probably took more charge out that was put back in by running it.

Alarms will run a battery down over time from draw. It sounds like you have something else going on if it didn't start after a few days with a fully charged battery prior to this. Maybe it's not charging and the regulator itself is pulling the battery down. Have you tested the regulator or the stator?

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

One thing that was not brought up is the fact that if you deeply discharge standard batteries, that it will damage it. If you have done this several times as you recently suggest, it is now likely "toast". This following is from a Johnson Controls briefing (a battery design & manufacturer for Kirkland, Sears, amongst others) way back when I worked for Paccar Automotive.

Most batteries today are made to be fully and continuously charged, designed to meet the "quick high current delivery requirements for starting modern high compression engines". With the advent of additional electrical demands, electronic ignition and fuel injection, alternator power has increased to ensure a positive battery surface charge is maintained. On the other hand, a Marine Deep Discharge type battery is designed to be slowly discharged to a very low value without damage, but must also be slowly recharged to insure long life.

If an automotive battery is deeply discharged, the plate materials will likely loosen from their fiberglass/composite grid backing and will shorten it's serviceable life. A typical failure will be that it will no longer hold a charge or be incapable of high demands where starting, electronic ignition and fuel injection must have a minimum of 10 Volts with starter draws as high as 100 Amps or more.

That is why most of your motorcycle battery users of the on-going poll, who use a Battery Tender will actually get the 5-7 year life expectancy out of their batteries. :skipping

Last edited:
Is a tender only needed during cold weather? I don't use one now. The bike doesn't get ridden every day, but close to it. I haven't noticed any battery problems.

I need my bike under a bike barn cover (like the cycleshell). I have outlets near enough that I could run an extension cord to the tender and keep it hooked up under the cover. At what temp should I start using one?

It's more a matter of time not ridden than the temps although that will kick the life out of the battery too with no riding.

I would say anything over a week and hook up the tender. Some leave it on all the time but I try to only use it periodically to charge the battery till the light turns green even though they have a float mode.

I will get ripped for this but not the 18 dollar one from walmart.
I have and have had the one from HD for some time it works well.
Shop quialty not cheap.
Some come with the pigtail some not. It is a good idea to install on and use it makes thing so easy.
Be carefull there are a lot of small chargers out there that maybe confused with battery tenders they are not the same thing.

nothing wrong with not buying from Walmart....IMO but if your gonna try and boycott China Products you might find your options limited at the HD shop too:cry

Back