free website stats program Battery Drain | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Drain

Wow a lot of good ideas. First Glider I will have to check that in the morning (Wiring). I don,t know about unplugging I,v already replaced battery twice, next battery I,ll have to pay again. 2nd Jdaws om my ammeter reads 0 on both pins when ign turned off ??? 3rd TQ Yeh I have done #2 as well and no light. 4th Wildspirit Yeh the battery is ruined. Will not take a charge. No spark what so ever jumping wire from pos to neg. Battery dealer gets o reading. I am learning here so keep the suggestions coming. Txs :newsmile08:
If the battery is discharging overnight...charge the battery again, but this time disconnect the voltage regulator connections when you have the battery out (everything else to remain the same...do not turn the ignition on, but install and reconnect the battery...(the regulator is normally "off" if the voltage is greater than 14V) and starts to "shunt" or route excess charging voltage (parallels energy away protecting the battery)...but if it has "leakage current" it is going to discharge the battery to nothing overnight....test your battery in the morning by disconnecting it, first, reconnecting your regulator and then reconnecting the battery. If NOT "dead as a doornail" you found your leakage source is a bad regulator.

Hey guys finally I got it. (SWEET) Yo Glider you got it. The wiring from the regulator to the positive side of the battery under the front of frame actually (pinched) and broken half way through with the bare wire exposed, grounding out on frame. Positive wire to ground not good, battery drain. Fixed wire and replaced battery again. Txs to all the help guys I really appreciate it.

Blownmodela...good job finding the problem and getting your bike running. Sorry you had to go through so many batteries to find it. Glider also found a good vendor for replacement cables in the self help section. Look at the actual wire strands, if they have evidence of corrosion, just replace the entire cable(s) or wires and use heat shrink sleeving at the abrasion points to be sure!

Last edited:
Back