free website stats program Battery Drain | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Drain

Electrical short I believe some where. Just need to know where to start. Put new battery in fully charged ran great started right up, let it sit over night and dead as a door nail come morning. Check with ohm on disconnected battery cable ends and get reading of 150 ohm. When I had it running I disconnected the battery terminals and bike died, on a car you do this and as long as the altenator is good it will keep running ??? Is this the same on bikes. O ya this is a 93 Electriglide.:newsmile010:

Man my battery is so dead it wont even charge, cross boath pos and neg on battery out of bike and not even a spark. Put on trickle charge over night and nothing unbelievable.

Looks like you have a negative ground. Easiest way to check is with the battery charged and the key off, disconnect the negative side of the battery. Run a test light between the battery terminal and the cable. If the light is on, something still has power with the key off. That's the easy part. Now you have to figure out what's on. All you can do is start disconnecting stuff and watch the light. When it goes out, you've got it. Repair or replace hot component.

Man my battery is so dead it wont even charge, cross boath pos and neg on battery out of bike and not even a spark. Put on trickle charge over night and nothing unbelievable.

It sounds more like you have a dead cell in the bat. time for a naw one

Hey Steve (brand new battery) couple hrs old. Jimweaver sonds great good explaining man, back in touch as soon as I check a few of these things out. Txs alot o k then just tried the test light trick with a good battery, disconnecting neg battery cable from post with ign off run a test light from neg cable to post and no light. Next idea ??

Last edited:
Hey Steve (brand new battery) couple hrs old. Jimweaver sonds great good explaining man, back in touch as soon as I check a few of these things out. Txs alot o k then just tried the test light trick with a good battery, disconnecting neg battery cable from post with ign off run a test light from neg cable to post and no light. Next idea ??

I would bet you have a bad voltage regulator that is allowing the current to bleed back. Here is a great set of tests for the charging system. And no, you can not run the bike without the battery connected.

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Judging by the age of the machine, both TQ and Smitty are neck and neck...! Use your ohmmeter and see if basic resistance goes to infinity (highest resistance open circuit...if 1) you disconnect the starter & solenoid connection or 2) you disconnect the voltage regulator connection to be sure. Both guys' are pretty good and I wouldn't bet on either if I was a bettin' man who owned the "House". :newsmile036:

Back