free website stats program Bank Angle Sensors | Harley Davidson Forums

Bank Angle Sensors

Ishmael

A quick question for those of you more in the know than I. Yesterday when I went down, the bank angle sensor shut the engine off. I had read my service manual and knew that all I had to do was turn the switch off, back on and the engine fired. However, some of my friends tell me that the newer models require that the bike be taken to a dealer to reset the BAS if it is leaned more than 55*. When did this change take place and if true, what was the MOCO thinking in this?
Ishmael

When my 2008 was dropped last year the same thing happened. The speedo said tilt so I just turned key off then back on started right up and have been riding since. No trip to dealer.

Same here when my Street bob got hit from behind and knocked over, trip to the dealer for cosmetic repairs:s

wow... it only gives you 55 degrees of lean before it shuts the bike off? thats not that much... I can drag pegs and pipes on my fxr, so one day I measured the angle it would take for the bike to do that, 47* before the pipes hit on the right, 50* before the peg hits on the left... its not uncommon for me to drag either... It would be scary to lean a bike hard into a curve and the computer think you went over and shut it down... guess I'll stick to my non-computerized bike!

I'm beginning to think I've been misinformed on having to take a bike to the dealer to have it reset if the bank angle sensor shuts it down.

Insofar as the lean angle goes, I've only dragged my left floorboard one time and that scared the heck out of me. I know bikes can be leaned at some scarey angles, but I'm too old and brittle to live that close to the edge:). Thank you all for clearing up this misconception.
Ishmael

wow... it only gives you 55 degrees of lean before it shuts the bike off? thats not that much...

Actually on the late model bikes, the lean angle for engine kill is 45 degrees per the SE manual. I also thought 45* was not much myself either. The factory quoted max lean angle (spec sheet) for my bike is 33* & 31*.

I wish there was a simple way to turn that part of the software off. For me mentally, it should be a greater angle (say 75*). It would accomplish what they want without fear of early trigger.

See Page 8 =>Super Tuner Manual - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

I know that I have dragged both floorboards on my Road King Classic and it did not trigger anything :D

My floorboards are sharpened to a nice edge too. No shut down here.

I hope that never happens. That could get ugly real quick...

Back