free website stats program Bank Angle Sensors | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bank Angle Sensors

Actually on the late model bikes, the lean angle for engine kill is 45 degrees per the SE manual. I also thought 45* was not much myself either. The factory quoted max lean angle (spec sheet) for my bike is 33* & 31*.

I wish there was a simple way to turn that part of the software off. For me mentally, it should be a greater angle (say 75*). It would accomplish what they want without fear of early trigger.

See Page 8 =>Super Tuner Manual - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Actually I would think the BAS is "OR'd" to timer, if it leans and stays there without returning to more vertical angle to reset it. Surely does not make sense for engine kill if BAS angle momentary hits limit, it would cause an accident rather than prevent one!!!

Surely does not make sense for engine kill if BAS angle momentary hits limit, it would cause an accident rather than prevent one!!!

I agree. I never tested it but I read somewhere if the angle is greater than 45* for more than 1 second, it triggers. But I really wonder if it's true because you don't hear of anyone having false triggers. There really should be a tab in the SEST software to turn it off like you can with other features.

I think it's a perfect example of the software & code writers not actually being riders themselves.
Just my opinion but I feel anyone who actually rides, would never select those conditions for a feature.

================================================

Just for the sake of having a reference document for some that might be reading and are wondering about how the BAS works, here is link that will help your understanding.

How the Bank Angle Sensor Works - Harley Davidson Community

It's important to keep in mind for those concerned about a possible false tip over signal, that the PDF & patent info applies to the early bank sensors only. Those bank sensors were for "tip over" only. They were Not used for turn signal cancellation or burglar alarm trigger. The modern BAS of today (late model Delphi) are actually pendulum accelerometers. and can detect the difference between small changes in angle. If you read through the patent, that model just measures in time how long the ball is off the Hall effect switch with no regard to ball angle.
That is why the early model could not be used for turn signal cancellation or burglar alarm trigger. That is important to know and understand. They are two different animals.

There is very little fear that the early level BAS could cause a false tip over signal. Now the late level BAS (turn signal model or alarm style ) is a different story.

WAP.gif

My apologies to Hoople, who actually authored these posts that I merged. Somehow they became part of someone else's post. Sorry, Hoop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back