free website stats program Balanced Tires how do you know | Harley Davidson Forums

Balanced Tires how do you know

AZDave

If my tires are out of balance is it the same as a cage? Will I have more of a vibration at a certain speed? How do you tell?

Thanks Glider, you always seem to respond. My bike has a slight vibration once I am at 60 or so but this is my first HD and I am not sure what kind of ride I should expect. Perhaps I should have a friend who has time in the seat ride it. It has 600 mile on her so if I ask the dealer to check it do you think they will under warrenty. Also when I hit a larger bump in the road I her a clang in the front end like a shock bottoming out. Is the normal?

Thanks Glider, you always seem to respond. My bike has a slight vibration once I am at 60 or so but this is my first HD and I am not sure what kind of ride I should expect. Perhaps I should have a friend who has time in the seat ride it. It has 600 mile on her so if I ask the dealer to check it do you think they will under warrenty. Also when I hit a larger bump in the road I her a clang in the front end like a shock bottoming out. Is the normal?

If you get a vibration that starts to develop at a particular speed gets worse as you increase speed then goes away with further increase (all while not changing anything else, like the gear the tranny is in), that is a classic out of balance scenario. See what the Dealership will do for you, but don't hold your breath. Just be firm.

On the clanking sound, make sure the front fender is secure. Check the torque on the head bolt, and fall-away. If these things are OK, and you still get that noise, try to determine if you are bottoming out the shocks. If so, you may need a heavier fork oil.

TQ

Bike tires are fairly easy to balance. If you have spokes you might want to see if the dealership will "true" them as well. Explain your vibration. Having your wheels trued will ensure the axle goes in the center of the wheel. Sometime the spokes work their way loose and will need to be re-trued. This can also cause a vibration.

If my tires are out of balance is it the same as a cage? Will I have more of a vibration at a certain speed? How do you tell?

How can you tell... Well, with my backyard shadetree mechanics method this is how to tell...

To check for true: (spoked wheels)
suspend the wheel in the air, if its the front wheel you can spin it freely without removing it. I usually set a piece of paper underneath it to stare at while it spins. With a pencil reference mark... If the tire seems to go out or in while spinning chances are the wheel will need to be trued up.

To check for balance:
Remove the front wheel, then secure two levels, or two level beams about 6 inches apart so you can suspend the wheel sitting on them pivioting on the axle. Then see if it spins. Turn it back and fourth a bit, look for recoil etc. If the wheel has a "heavy side" its out of balance.

This is what i usually do because the tire shops charge less if its already removed, and at least at this point i know whats wrong or what to expect.... Usually.

More than likely it's a steering head adjustment needed, very common on a new bike after a few miles. I had it in my RK too.

Last edited:
Thanks I stoped by the dealer today and they will look at the noise on Monday for free the balance and true we will have to see.
Happy Fathers day guys

ride to the speed u feel the vibration, engage the gear to neutral. if the vibration still there then its wheel/tire related issues

Back