free website stats program Baffle removal on sportster exaust? | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffle removal on sportster exaust?

HeadHunter

Banned
I have an 883 Iron and it is too quiet for my tastes. I cannot afford to pay the big bucks for new exhaust so I was wondering if it is possible to remove the baffles from the stock pipes and still run the bike without harm to the engine?
And if I do have to have the computer reset is that very expensive to have done?

I wouldn't, your performance will suffer. There is a method which involves drilling holes in the back of the mufflers around the through hole that is suppossed to improve sound quality. Message me and I'll send you a link to it.

Have to agree with Smitty here.
Drilling them will only make them louder and it's not a nice loud either. Sounds like a Honda trying to be a harley.
Save the stock mufflers for when the EPA comes down on us and get some slipons.

The guy at that link I sent says he went through many mufflers before getting it right. It was only when he worked with engineers and and got it all down pat that he was hapy with the sound. If you can find some used ones for $20-$30 it is worth a try IMO.

My buddy just took his screamin eagle slip ons off of his 08 1200 XL, and used a rod to straighten the "tab" that deflects the exhuast thru the packing, sounded better, but lost all the low end torque, so he had to take them back off and beat them back into position.

I thought his bike sounded ok with the unmodified screamin' eagles, albeit a tad quiet, but when he rode with me, he decided he had to do something. LOL!

man it really stinks to have to pay a grand or so just to get the Harley sound out of a Harley..

HeadHunter, there are always deals on the Internet, E-bay in particular, BUT you have to be careful who you deal with. Save your HD Stock mufflers...Do NOT modify them in any way...you will need them as more local and federal legistlation for exhaust and A/F mod sniffers take effect. Take your time and be patient...the next good deal is always just around the corner. Go to lots of Harley events to hear various pipes and get rider comments about them. It's like trying listen to music reading about it...only you can decide what works! :s

well hopefully I will get a pair of used stock pipes soon and try the drill and play method. I just hope the drilled out pipes won't have any adverse effect on my bikes engine like burnt valves or anything like that.

Well HH, if you were closer I'd send you my stockers that I punched out to see if you like 'em. I bought a set of SEII muffs. from a buddy for $75 and he didn't have the baffles (he threw them out) so I run them w/o them. Mine's a 1200 and it sounds GREAT! What I did with my stockers is put a rod (about 3/4" diameter) up the tail pipe until it stopped and gave it a few sharp raps with a 3 lb. hammer until it punched out the "plug" in the "in" end. When I pulled the stock muffs. off to put the SEII muffs. on later I could clearly see the punched out piece. It sounded better than stock and it didn't hurt the performance at all. The SEII's however have robbed me of some of my low end grunt. I'm saving for a Power Commander as we speak. Many people are afraid to mess with their bikes, I'm not. Do as you please and happy motoring! :s

Back