Bad cam

Help please

• Guitar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marshall

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OilCan12

Hello, I have a 95 Softail FXSTC with 50k on it, it started running bad, so I pulled the cam and noticed one of the lobes was worn, then I found that one bad lifter, and the bearings where coming out of the roller, my question is, is there any thing I can do to remove all the trash the lifter dumped into my engine or do I need to pull the engine and split the cases? Thanks

I had that problem with the front exhaust lifter on my 1992 Evo. I used magnets in several different shapes/configurations to pull as much ferrous metal as possible out of the cases. Then I flushed the cam chest with kerosene, put a new cam and 4 lifters in and buttoned it up. I changed oil several times with few miles and cut the filter apart and checked the bottom of the drain pan for metal fragments. I got a lot of "sparkely" stuff for a few changes, but put 30k more miles on the engine with no more problems. NOTE: this is my experience, NOT the recommended way. I say I was 85% lucky I had no further problems caused by residual metal damage.

I had that problem with the front exhaust lifter on my 1992 Evo. I used magnets in several different shapes/configurations to pull as much ferrous metal as possible out of the cases. Then I flushed the cam chest with kerosene, put a new cam and 4 lifters in and buttoned it up. I changed oil several times with few miles and cut the filter apart and checked the bottom of the drain pan for metal fragments. I got a lot of "sparkely" stuff for a few changes, but put 30k more miles on the engine with no more problems. NOTE: this is my experience, NOT the recommended way. I say I was 85% lucky I had no further problems caused by residual metal damage.

Thanks Breeze for the reply, where do you insert the magnets? I also heard to put a vacuum in there but how? Is there something I can remove to gain access to inside the cases? Thanks for any help,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Breeze; not the recommended way but worth a shot if the top end has not been damaged. Flushing the sump wtih diesel or kerosene after using magnets or some vacuum device will flush out some material but the bottom of the sump is not designed to drain. There is a raised boss where the sump plug is located that prevents complete drainage of the sump. If follosing the process Breeze has outlined, do it exactly as he has done and I would add one additional step. After completing the process, including oil changes, cutting filter open etc., collect an oil sample and send it to Blackstone for analysis. Go to their website; they will send a collection/test kit. I would also replace the inner/outer cam bearings in cam plate and probably the oil pump depending on condition.

Should the top end be damaged and new pistons/cylinders be required, spliting the cases for a complete cleanup will eliminate the possibilty of damaging a new top end because some metal is still traveling in the oil. I know several that have had similar problems and did the same thing Breeze did and salvaged the motor.

That sounds good to me, but where can I get access to the inside of to motor to run the magnets through there thanks

I did not get magnets inside the crank shaft area, believing (hoping) that metal fragments did not get there. I used bent pieces of coat hanger attached to a strong magnet to fish the crannies I could reach for metal. I considered sending an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis but chose "ignorance is bliss" instead. It bothers me more than a little to admit what I did, but it was a time of fiscal drought, and Florida's biggest poker run, Miami to Key West was close at hand.

That sounds good to me, but where can I get access to the inside of to motor to run the magnets through there thanks

If I understand the question, the only access is through the top of the cases through the cylinder bores; the top end mus come off.

Others in this situation have also attached strong rare earth magnets to the outside bottom of the sump expecting those magnets to attract and hold metal flotsam that will settle out of the oil. I cannot speak to the efficacy of that approach but don't see any harm either.

No where in my manual does it say to change the lifters at any mileage how does the average person supposed to know this? I'm (EDIT) off, now I'm buying a new bike because I won't be able to trust this bike and I'm not dumping a bunch of money into a 95, (EDIT) Harley engineers (EDIT) how much do you gain from roller lifters? My Chevy truck has 200,000 miles on it and runs great, a (EDIT) Harley motor hits 50,000 and explodes! (EDIT)!

But thanks everyone for the advice atleast I have a idea on what to do next,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed there's a tappet screen that's located on the discharge of the oil pump that would in theory capture any trash I guess, I pulled the screen it doesn't look to bad, but what's scary is the breather gear was turning kinda hard I pulled it out and there was score marks on both the breather gear and the breather gear housing I didn't see any trash but there must have been something in there to do that at some point, I'm thinking of what to do next but I'll keep you posted,, thanks

Hello guys, I finally finished and started the bike yesterday it runs okay but it has a wine sound , I have a 2018 heritage Softail now that motor has a similar wine sound when it idle's as soon as it comes off of idle the wine sound goes away , not with 95, 80CI, Softail, It also seems like it's down on power a little, I replaced the worn Andrews EV46 cam with a New one, not sure of the original lifters but I put in a set of Johnson hylift lifters, and a new cam bearing, the wine sound is kinda loud and it changes pitch with RPM, going from lower to higher I'm not sure what to make of this,, any ideas?

Back