are the 2009 streetglides that much better

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by JJDH, Jun 28, 2009.

1. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

greetings. new to this forim, also harley all together. have a question. i am looking at the streetglides. i can get an 06 for 5k less than an 09. i can get an 07 for about3k less than 09. first from the 88ci, to the 96ci, is that a huge jump? then for the wider tire in the back of 09, is that a huge difference in handling? i ride aggressive, is the wider tire gonna be better in the corners?
    i am retiring from the sportbike scene, so i am still a speed junky. i have been at the dealerships a bunch the past two weeks. cant seem to decide what to do.. also what can i expect to, or any advice on what to offer dealer for prices, the 09 is 20260 after their bogus prep fee for putting the bike together. that is for a black,w cruise.. everything else standard

2. walt5162

walt5162 Active Member

IMO yes the 09's are worth the extra money! The ride is much improved!

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Yes the TC96 will be noticeably stronger than the 88 - not a whole bunch but enough.

If the 09 you're looking at is new it will have the factory warranty. Do the others come with an extended warranty? Also think about all the extras you will be paying to add to a new 09 that may already be on the older, used bikes. It can really add up!

Wider rear tire should actually negativelt affect turning performance but you probably won't notice the difference on an 800 pound touring bike!

Get several local dealers competing for your business. You should be able to get the fees dropped or get a pretty good gift card or P&A discount included with your purchase of a new bike.

4. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

appreciate the responses, basically the 07 or 08 would be just as good then, at least they have the bigger motor. i can get an 06 for 14999..add 1k for tax, and thats it. as it stands the closest shops wont give me their best price on an 09 unless i am ready to sign, they dont want me to take their number to a competitor and get it cut, they flat out told me that. the 06 ive been lookin at has 12k miles on it, i like the idea of the bigger engine. if they would waive their prep (EDIT), i would feel better for the 09.
    do the 07, 08 handle well? they are really pushin the frame change, and wider tire

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009
  5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Just tell them how serious you are, that you are ready to sign, but you're not going to actually sign until YOU are ready, not them.

I have an 08 and I feel it handles great. I have never experienced the bagger wobble but then I don't ride like Hobbit!

6. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

do u mean the 06 felt as good as 08..... the 09 has more torque than all?

i dot like turn wobbles. i am coming from a gsxr1000 that dynoed at 186rwhp

7. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

si ... when u speak of 05, which model are u refering to? i was under the impression that the streetglide started in 06.. like i mentioned earlier i am new to harley. i rented an 09 for the weekend, loved it..i demoed the 06 streetglide, they rode next to me, it was a 10 minute ride, so i wasnt able to ride properly, (or how i like to ride) so i could open it up a bit. so far the dealership experiences arent very pleasing..

8. JJDH

JJDH Active Member

are u talkin front wobbble ,or back tire wobble. i assume front

i understand... it is basically stickershock that i have to get over

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Junior Member

My 09 Road Glide is the first Harley that I've ever owned so I can't tell you how it compares to previous model Harleys. However, my neighbor has owned Harleys for years (dynas, springers, bobs, etc.) and he said that the 09 Road Glide that he bought a day after I bought mine is the best handling Harley he has ever ridden. I imagine that this would also apply to an 09 street glide since it has the same improvements as the 09 road glide.

10. spartacus55

spartacus55 Active Member

i own a 2007 rk and when the 2009's came out with the new frame and everything i was gonna trade mine in until i rented one when i was out in vegas. Mind you i ride pretty conservatively but once in a while i get on it A LITTLE BIT and to tell you the truth i could not tell the difference save yourself some cash for all those little chrome goodies and by a 07