free website stats program Any updates on the SE Compensator Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any updates on the SE Compensator Problem

I overfill primary , so as just starts to come out derby cover when bike totally up rite.

That's a bunch of extra oil. I am really surprised you don't have trouble finding neutral. In the beginning I would overfill my primary also by about 4oz. and it was terrible finding neutral.

I'm not saying not to do it because if it works for you, that's all that counts. I'm just surprised.

Well with what I have seen with the rust issue / no oil in the comp.
I thought I'd try the extra oil . No change finding neutral or clutch working .. I just try stuff . Some times things work .sometimes not.

I thought I'd try the extra oil . No change finding neutral or clutch working .. I just try stuff . Some times things work .sometimes not.

I've always stuck with specs .. better safe than sorry !

I've always stuck with specs .. better safe than sorry !

Totally understand your position.
But I can give you one factory spec I know can be better. Belt tension. If your rear swing arm bushings are in good shape, belt tension as defined in the service manual is way to tight for my liking. A 1/4" of deflection with 10 lbs of pressure is crazy tight once the bike gets to operating temp. I have been running much less tension since day 1 of ownership and have never looked back. The bike feels so much better. So much more relaxed. My belt tracking is better, belt noise is 100% less, no more rear pulley wear like I had... It seems like everything is better.

If you look at the arc geometry of the rear swing arm, you will see why I believe this. It does not follow a constant radius. The belt gets tighten, the lower the frame sits. So under certain conditions, belt tension actually supports some of the bikes weight which it should not do.
Now this applies to my Dyna and I don't know if it hold true for other frames.

If the Moco wants it a certain way, that's fine. That's what makes America beautiful. I will be the first to say I am wrong if & when the day comes. But so far for me, I feel my way is better.

I also run extra oil in the primary and have found, at least in my case, that finding neutral is more of a before and after break in thing than how much oil is in the primary. Neutral was easier to find with either Spectro 6 Speed or Redline Heavy Shockproof in the transmission. All other lubes tried made it a little twitchier.

The only problem I see here is if you try a whole lot of things together you may NEVER know just which one did the fix for you, That said WE all play outside the manual some Good Luck:s

Back