free website stats program Any updates on the SE Compensator Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Any updates on the SE Compensator Problem

bobbeidel

Getting ready to install an SE Compensator. Any updated news on the SE
Compensator?? Actually have removed old one and found found springs to be very loose. Gonna have grooves machined in the spokes as suggested. Had planned on going to Spectro oil but it sounds like Formula + may be better.
Poor design by HD when you have to grind the primary casing to get the old compensator out. I have a real smart German machinist looking at the SE compensator to see if he has any suggestions to eliminate the fretting.
Any comments or suggestions??

Thanks,
Bob

You dont have to grind the case to get the old comp out,just loosen the inner primary taking care not to tear the gasket and the compensator will clear,the gasket is not put on with any sealent it will be fine to re use.

What I did to my SE comp now with 30,000 miles on it.

1. Slots on each spoke at the spoke/cam interface extending from the hub side 1/2 way into the rubbing face to allow oil an easy way in and a not so easy way out.

2. Slots on the hub faces, both sides approximately centered from where each spoke is based. The smooth hub faces appear to "lock out" any oil circulation.

3. Shallow grooves, not much more than scratches on the bore face of sprocket piece, in a spiral connecting the "front" hub slot with the adjacent "back" slot on the hub face to encourage oil entering a slot to spread out on the hub bore face.

All this was done free hand with a Dremel and I am NOT any sort of an engineer, just a "shade tree" mechanic/tinkerer. Do what you think is right at your own risk, just as I did.

Here's what I've learned. If you get PN 40274-08A then you get a "Thrust" washer with some grooves in it that goes between the at the surfaces that is fretting. No need to do any grooves on the spokes which might weaken the part. We've seen three case of the old compensator being bad. I think this may be a serious problem that HD has not fessed up to. Anyway, I would suggest that all you folks with 2007 or later bikes take a look at your compensator. JMO!

Bob

IF and When I do a SE,,,,, I will make sure the grooves are Pulling oil in Not out of the compensator......

Think Directional of Rotation of the unit and PULLING IN oil Not just tossing it out...
Kinda like a "(" or a ")" using the centrifical force to Draw (scoop) oil IN not Out
Just a thought for your THOUGHTs...:s

ssigned....BUBBIE

I don't know if HD fixed the fretting problem, but I can only say that the SE Compensator is well worth it even if I have to replace it again later. The difference is amazing!! I wish I had done it sooner. If I knew how to post images of the parts for the 40274-08A (new) and the 40274-08 (old) you could see that they changed the design of part A (Bearing Journal) and part 6 (Sprocket retainer) as well as added grooves to the Thrust washer. Does that help the fretting? Who knows??

Bob

I inspected mine last week 30 k on s/e comp. Just a pinch of rusty stuff barley seen..wear on ramps & the 3 arms .expected .. the smooth surface some wear inside the gear cog with the teeth. .I feel its because I use formula + . I overfill primary , so as just starts to come out derby cover when bike totally up rite. Just my observation..can't seam to post pics..no clutch problems
I have the old version . Nite to day from stock.:)

I've gotten about 15k on my upgraded compensator. Probably gonna check it soon and see how the fretting is.

Back