Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Day1, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Day1

Day1 Member

Hello All,

My name is Shawn. I am new to the family! I have to say I really enjoy the site and all the good shared information and suggestions. I am new the H.D world as this is my first Harley. I have had several other bikes however, I am wondering why I never looked at purchasing one until now.... What a great ride!

So my question is.... can I use any off the shelf GL5 gear oil for my big twin's transmission? I have seen the great reports on Spectro 6 speed oil offering although this is not readily available in my area. I would like to use a reputable brand such as Mobil, Valvoline etc. Additionally.... What is the desired weight such as 75w90 or 75w140?

2005 Police Special Electra Glide 88" 5 speed

2. oldhippie

oldhippie Senior Member

Have you read through this: Harley Davidson Community

I've used Quaker State Synthetic 75w140 in my 6-speed and it did the trick. But presently it has the Spectro 6-speed in it.
    Mobil 1 doesn't appear to recommend using their gear oil in a H-D tranny.

If you're not riding in hot climes most of the time, I'd say the cheaper priced 75w90 is all that is called for.

3. Day1

Day1 Member

Thanks for the reply!

As I understand the 5 speed is different internally than the 6 speed. I will take a look at your attached link.

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Mobil1 is fine for your trans. I used it for many miles before switching to Spectro 6 speed (just because). Several of my friends use Mobil 1 75/90.

5. Day1

Day1 Member

Thanks Breeze3at!

I currently have the Formula + in the primary and transmission. The transmission is not loud when riding, just seems to have that famous clunk!

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/t-738.html A properly adjusted clutch and some gear oil and you should be good, also take a look at your primary chain adjustment:s

7. Day1

Day1 Member

Thanks Jack! Your attached link has some great information.... I plan on checking the primary chain when I perform the service.

Thanks again:)

8. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Redline Shockproof Heavy is a great choice too.

9. Day1

Day1 Member

Hi Bodeen,

Are you using the Red Line shock proof with the 5 speed?

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member