free website stats program Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission

Search Result - Harley Davidson Community Here starts the shockproof threads, Bubbie is the man to talk to about this, He is the IN house expert on Redline:s

Thanks Jack,

The Only reason is,,,,,, I have used Redline in my bikes for many years. I even sold Redline Products. Not to make money but to have it for my friends and few customers way back in the early 1980"s...

I have torn down some of my engine builds over the years, Like in a 1997 Evo that I had built. @ 43,000 miles on that build.
I wanted to Drop in Higher compression and change out cams to suite. Refreshing that motor was easy as the wear was so minimal, no re-bore necessary and a deglazing hone, new wiseco pistons and rings did the trick.

I attrubited the Lack of wear on the motor because of using Redline 20/50 full synthetic in the engine, changing in no less than 3500 miles or no more than 4500 (longer rides) and using HD oil filters.

Now on ShockProof Heavy:

The tranny fluid, ShockProof Heavy Gear Oil, was NOT a hard sell. Just putting in the product and saying IF you don't like it, I'll change you back to you old brand...

NEVER had to change back to their old brand.:s

I would just say: "Go take it for a ride.See IF you like it."

I have used it for years now and have had GREAT results.

Roger, a Marine in his younger day, still built like a brick wall.

Traded off his Pristine 03 bike for an "on Order batwing" 08?

waiting for a month for it to arrive and without a bike.

I ran him over to pick up his new ride. Later that same day, he called and asked IF I would help him out. He planned to take the new bike back and was Locked and Loaded to get results.

Hold on Roger. Whats the problem?

He said that the tranny was,,, well,,, Junk. First and fifth were Like a Grinding not a gearing.

He was determined to get his old ride back and No IF's and BUT's about it.

I took him over a quart of Redline ShockProof, Pushing him to change it out in his tranny. RELUNTANTLY he did.
Wasn't an Hour later he called me saying He would Not believe how Quiet his 6 speeed had become. Thanked me for keeping him out of the slammer.

Story is true and BOY was I releaved Not to have to run over to Sierra Vista HD to find where his Old ride was.

So you see, It is EASY for me to recommend this product.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks BUBBIE!

I can get the Red Line Shock Heavy at my local H.D. dealer.... Is this the same as the V twin gear oil that are marketed today? (Different packaging)

If so I will definite take it for a test drive as I can purchase it locally!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Thanks BUBBIE!

I can get the Red Line Shock Heavy at my local H.D. dealer.... Is this the same as the V twin gear oil that are marketed today? (Different packaging)

If so I will definite take it for a test drive as I can purchase it locally!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Yes. Redline packaged their oils under New Labels, just to sell it to the V-twin crowd.
Like MTL, it is the same as the V-twin Primary lube.
MTL is another Great product that has been used for many years in HD's primarys.(wet clutch approved)

I put on 117,000 miles on an original stock clutch in my 2000 FXDs with big engine and 6 speed rev-tech added to the 5 spd box..Clutch still worked great at trade off time.

Here is the full compliment I Use:

20/50 Redline engine oil (20/60 v-twin oil with a little more anti wear added)
MTL for the primary (v-twin primary)
ShockProof Heavy(V-twin tranny lube)

Here is a web-site to look at for information about their Full line of Products.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils - Heavy ShockProof®

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for all the information. I will pick up a quart of the Shockproof Heavy at my local dealer.

This is what I picked up at my local dealer yesterday. Just waiting for some warmer weather and I will perform the service. More to come!

Attachments

• shock.PNG
    shock.PNG
    90.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
A few weeks ago I did the 5K service on my bike. Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny. Same as was added at the 1K service done at the dealer. This past weekend, we rode about 700 miles, two up. On the 2nd day I could smell the tranny fluid as we were riding. Checked the level at the next gas station and it was fine, but the fluid smelled burnt. What would cause it to smell burnt with only 6K miles on the bike??? Just ordered Spectro GL-5 Platinum and will change it out when it arrives. The Redline has a milky look to it as did the old stuff when I drained it a few weeks ago. Is this normal??? I'm more worried about the burnt smell of it and the fact that I can smell it while riding. No leaks to be found anywhere and fluid level is right at the full mark. Do I need to flush out all the old Redline before adding the new Spectro, or will the little Redline that remains mix ok with the new Spectro???
Thanks.

Gear lube stinks. It is the Extreme Pressure additives that make it smell. Burnt or sulfer smell is typical with gear lube. You likely got some on the bike when you serviced it IMO. When you heat up the area that got a bit of product on it you continue to cook the smell a bit more. It takes awhile to go away.

Thanks, and you might be right, but just smelling the dipstick doesn't smell right. I don't remember that smell from before I changed it. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but better safe than sorry. Just ordered 2 qts. of Spectro, so now I'm wondering if I should swap it out or just hang on to it for next time. It wasn't cheap, but either is a new tranny :(

The milky color is normal, caused by air being beaten into the oil. As for the smell, I have Redline and Golden Spectro GLwhatever 6speed. I made a note in my service book "trans oil has funky smell when new". That keeps me from forgetting later on.

Redline ShockProof Gear Oil DOES have a very pungent Odor.. Burnt, almost impossible as the normal use in a HD tyranny is not a problem.

The Viscosity is 75/250 and no amount of normal use would get it Burnt... It just stinks cause it has Anti-Wear in it and is GOOD...
(I'd put BEST but Tank might toss my post):tounge

After a time the smell you are experiencing will not be there as it is JUST vapors coming out the vent tube after a change...It will soon seek it own level and no longer emit STINK:smell

Heavy looks like catsup and mayonnaise mixed... You will Never get all the Redline out of that tyranny. IT IS that good.... No need to it will not harm when mixed with any Gear Oil...

I think you are wasting Money on the change over... Redline tech/engineer said he Knew their product Redline , would last 40,000 mile and HD says to change it out at 20,000 miles now,,,

A quality gear oil will do great, so go to the one YOU trust,,,, Don't worry about me. BUT, You might re-read my other post to freshen your Head though...:D

Mind you These Post are all MY Thinking... and a lot of others DO AGREE with them...(MANY)

signed....BUBBIE

Back