free website stats program all I did was change the turn signal lenses, now.. | Harley Davidson Forums

all I did was change the turn signal lenses, now..

wv2wheel

When I use the left turn signal, it flashes normal most of the time, but sometimes it does a fast flash (like you would get if a bulb was burned out or something) but all the lights still work. I put the smoked lenses and therefore amber lamps in...thats all...again most of the time it works normal but then sometimes it goes a little haywire....any ideas? I havent yet tried the old clear bulb in that side to see if it goes away. No led technology involved....

Phil

One of two things, 1) the socket(s) or wiring has corrosion or damage., 2) cut insulation or frayed wiring/socket pass thru housing area. Did you replace the bulb(s) at one time, could have been the wrong one (drawing slightly more current) may be fooling the TSSM triggering.:eam

I just changed my stock out for smoked and amber lights. I put the last one in and it started blinking fast. I turned it off and back on and it was normal. Hope I don't have the same problem as u this summer.

When you change bulbs, always put a light coating of di-electric grease on the contacts before installing the bulb. A tube of di-electric grease is less then $3.00 and will last years. Cheapest insurance you will ever buy. Now that your having problems, you might want to pick up a wire brush to clean out the socket. Good luck!!

Had the same problem when I installed a smoked kit on my 2011 Street Glide. Turns out that one of the contact pins on the light housing was slightly pushed to far into the little round disk. I think this happened when I tried installing the bulb wrong. I was able to pull the reflector assembly out of the housing and reset the pin to the correct position and all is good.

When you change bulbs, always put a light coating of di-electric grease on the contacts before installing the bulb. A tube of di-electric grease is less then $3.00 and will last years. Cheapest insurance you will ever buy. Now that your having problems, you might want to pick up a wire brush to clean out the socket. Good luck!!

+1 Absolutely need to use the di-electric grease. Cuts down on the number of electrical gremlins you need to deal with regularly. Certainly could be a bad fitting bulb, or one that doesn't draw consistently because of corrosion in the connection.

Thanks for the tips...all the sockets were in good shape and all bulbs coated with dielectric grease but I will pull the rear first and reinstall the stock clear bulb to see if it still does it. If it doesnt act up then I will just get a new amber bulb. I would think most likely it is a marginal bulb as it works normal most of the time but then it will suddenly start the fast blink (but all lights still working)...sometimes just by putting on the brake (which shouldnt have anything to do with it )...I'll let you know what I find...

Phil

Thanks for the tips...all the sockets were in good shape and all bulbs coated with dielectric grease but I will pull the rear first and reinstall the stock clear bulb to see if it still does it. If it doesnt act up then I will just get a new amber bulb. I would think most likely it is a marginal bulb as it works normal most of the time but then it will suddenly start the fast blink (but all lights still working)...sometimes just by putting on the brake (which shouldnt have anything to do with it )...I'll let you know what I find...

Phil
One last thing. Did you by chance by that smoked lense kit from J&P Cycle? I bought one that came with bulbs? Bulbs were not good! I was gonna say (EDIT) but don't want a rap on fingers. LOL Once I got better bulbs problems went away.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil
You could switch the ambers (left & right, vice versa) and see if the fast flash then happens on the right side. Sure sounds like a defective bulb. Hope it's that easy.

Back