free website stats program Air Filter dripping oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Filter dripping oil

fiveoh455

I ride a 2001 Road King (Police)....went out for first extended ride today and found oil (& water?) dripping from the backside of the air filter cover. Not alot, but noticeable spray on the front of the right saddlebag. Got home and wiped out the backside of the filter cover. It looked like a diluted oil...any ideas?

Put her up for winter in late November...this was only the 2nd ride of the year. Did the same thing first time out.

My 2001 FLHRI is going to be in the shop for a month. I'm two weeks into it now.
I got the bike used from Bergen County HD in Aug, 08 with 2000 miles on it. I have had three breakdowns with oil pouring out my air filter cover. BCHD has determined that the oil pump was going bad and caused a world of damage to my motor. Now they are repairing the whole bottom end. I put 6000 miles on it from last August till now. I just can't believe the motor has so much damage with only 8000 miles on it.....o~`o

BCHD has determined that the oil pump was going bad and caused a world of damage to my motor. Now they are repairing the whole bottom end. I put 6000 miles on it from last August till now. I just can't believe the motor has so much damage with only 8000 miles on it

Did the tensioner(s) nuke? The spring loaded tensioners can completely disintegrate at very low miles (like what you got) and scatter little bits of plastic throughout the oil system plugging holes and jamming moving parts (like the oil pump gerotors!!). If BCHD is redoing the engine, pay the difference for the roller chain conversion!!

TQ

I'm with TQ on this one, go with the roller chain conversion. It's worth it just in piece of mind IMO.

When your bike sits all winter, oil "slips by" the ball and gets in your lower end, it will then come out the puke tube when you start the bike until it gets sumped out.

When your bike sits all winter, oil "slips by" the ball and gets in your lower end, it will then come out the puke tube when you start the bike until it gets sumped out.

This is true on softails and sporties but the OP has a 2001 FLHP.

Back